History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Sawmill

A Grade II* Listed Building in Dunham Massey, Trafford

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.3814 / 53°22'53"N

Longitude: -2.4005 / 2°24'1"W

OS Eastings: 373457

OS Northings: 387247

OS Grid: SJ734872

Mapcode National: GBR CYPB.3L

Mapcode Global: WH98V.385L

Entry Name: Sawmill

Listing Date: 5 March 1959

Last Amended: 12 July 1985

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1067903

English Heritage Legacy ID: 212850

Location: Dunham Massey, Trafford, WA14

County: Trafford

Civil Parish: Dunham Massey

Traditional County: Cheshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester

Church of England Parish: Bowdon St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Chester

Find accommodation in
Lymm

Listing Text

SJ 78 NW DUNHAM MASSEY DUNHAM PARK

6/91 Sawmill
(formerly listed
as High Towncorn Mill)
5.3.59

G.V. II*

Watermill, originally a cornmill then a sawmill. Possibly
1616 for "old" Sir George Booth, but definitely pre 1697.
English garden wall bond brickwork with stone dressings and
graduated stone slate roof. 2 storeys plus attic. Stone
plinth, stone quoins and coped gables with kneelers. South
elevation has a semi-circular stone arched waterwheel
housing flanked on either side by stone buttresses; 3 2-
light and 3 3-light double-chamfered stone mullion windows
(some later) with leaded casements and 2 gables (although
the main roof runs longitudinally). Each end elevation has
an oeil-de-boeuf within the gable which was added in 1756
when some other alterations were made. The north side has a
small projecting wing with stone dressed oeil-de-boeuf and a
shaped brick chimney shaft to the carpenter's shop. Door
openings occur in each elevation. The other window openings
appear to be of a later date. Each storey is divided into 2
rooms by a half-timbered partition. On the ground floor is
the overshot waterwheel (reconstructed) in one room and a
lathe in the other. On the first floor (which because of
the crossfall has access at ground level) is the carpenter's
shop in one room and frame saw, wood-boring machine and
circular saw in the other. The attic is reached by a
central flight of steps and formerly housed the granary. A
rare and well preserved example of a C17 watermill which was
restored and much of the machinery re-constructed in c.1980,
resulting in a fine working example.


Listing NGR: SJ7345787247

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.