History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St George

A Grade II Listed Building in Altrincham, Trafford

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.3901 / 53°23'24"N

Longitude: -2.3511 / 2°21'4"W

OS Eastings: 376744

OS Northings: 388196

OS Grid: SJ767881

Mapcode National: GBR DY07.SG

Mapcode Global: WH98V.V1LX

Entry Name: Church of St George

Listing Date: 12 July 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1067949

English Heritage Legacy ID: 212754

Location: Trafford, WA14

County: Trafford

Electoral Ward/Division: Altrincham

Built-Up Area: Altrincham

Traditional County: Cheshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester

Church of England Parish: Altrincham St George

Church of England Diocese: Chester

Find accommodation in
Altrincham

Listing Text

SJ 7688 SE ALTRINCHAM CHURCH STREET
(west side)

10/2 Church of Saint
- George

- II

Church. Base of tower possibly 1799, tower and spire 1874,
chancel 1886 and considerable re-building completed about
1897. Nave by Paley and Austin. Red brick, terracotta
enrichments, slate spire and clay tile roofs. Nave,
aisles,west tower and porch; polygonal chancel with vestry
and side-chapel. 6-bay clerestory and aisles with stone
bands, flat buttresses and coupled semi-circular headed
windows with hoodmoulds (exept for north which re-uses the
stained glass, semi-circular headed windows and stone
tracery of the former church). 3-stage tower with spire,
recessed arched openings to belfry, blind arcade above and
corbelled brick eaves. Chancel has tall semi-circular
headed lights with terracotta enrichments, a 3-light east
window with a rose window below a decorated gable.
Interior: moulded brick semi-circular arched nave arcade on
circular columns with moulded capitals and bases. The
aisles continue to either side of the tower which is carried
on massive brick piers. King and queen-post roof trusses
with diagonally braced purlins. Stained glass.


Listing NGR: SJ7674488196

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.