History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade II Listed Building in Denton South, Tameside

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.4386 / 53°26'19"N

Longitude: -2.1018 / 2°6'6"W

OS Eastings: 393332

OS Northings: 393544

OS Grid: SJ933935

Mapcode National: GBR FXRP.R2

Mapcode Global: WHB9Q.PTBR

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 14 July 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1067968

English Heritage Legacy ID: 212699

Location: Tameside, M34

County: Tameside

Electoral Ward/Division: Denton South

Built-Up Area: Denton

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester

Church of England Parish: Haughton Green St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Manchester

Find accommodation in
Hyde

Listing Text

DENTON HAUGHTON GREEN ROAD
SJ 99 SW

7/46 Church of
St. Mary

G.V. II

Church. 1874-6. J. M. and H. Taylor. Timber-framed (inspired
by St. Lawrence, Denton) with brick tower and slate roof.
Nave and chancel with south aisle and north tower with
baptistry at base. 3 bay nave with brick plinth, timber
buttresses and 2 or 4-light mullioned windows with ogee
heads and hoodmoulds. Overhanging eaves and 3 gabled dormer
windows on roof. The gabled porch adjoins the octagonal
tower which has cusped lancets at the lower level, a
terracotta band, and a romantic conical roof with gablets on
4 of the 8 sides. Aisle has 3 gables with 5-light windows
(as above). 5-light transomed east and west windows. Chancel
is treated with decorative timberwork, pargetting and
enriched bargeboards to gables. Timber buttresses with
finials are set diagonally. Interior: diagonally braced tie-
beam roof trusses with scissor-braces supported on the south
by enriched aisle posts. Pargetting to chancel and above
baptistry. Alabaster bowl font on multiple colonnettes.
Timber fittings include pierced screens and pulpit. Panelled
reredos. Stained glass. The church has many of the qualities
of charm and craftsmanship for which Taylor was renowned.


Listing NGR: SJ9333293544

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.