History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Christ Church

A Grade II Listed Building in Denton West, Tameside

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.456 / 53°27'21"N

Longitude: -2.1218 / 2°7'18"W

OS Eastings: 392006

OS Northings: 395477

OS Grid: SJ920954

Mapcode National: GBR FXMG.FV

Mapcode Global: WHB9Q.CDVD

Entry Name: Christ Church

Listing Date: 27 November 1967

Last Amended: 14 July 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1067969

English Heritage Legacy ID: 212701

Location: Tameside, M34

County: Tameside

Electoral Ward/Division: Denton West

Built-Up Area: Denton

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester

Church of England Parish: Denton Christ Church

Church of England Diocese: Manchester

Find accommodation in
Hyde

Listing Text

DENTON MANCHESTER ROAD
SJ 99 NW (south side)

4/48 Christ Church
27/11/67 (formerly listed as Church of
Christ)

G.V. II

Church. 1848-53. By G.G.Scott for the Church Commissioners.
Hammer-dressed stone with slate roof. Nave and aisles (no
clerestory) each under a pitched roof. North-west tower,
chancel. Gothic revival. Plain exterior has 4-bay aisles
with projecting plinth and weathered buttresses placed at
corners only. Each bay has a 2-light window with plate
tracery. Similar windows to 3-bay nave but with hoodmoulds
and carved stops. 4-light east window and 3-light west
window with geometrical tracery. Coped gables with finials.
The 3-stage tower has bold angled buttresses, an arched door
beneath a gable, lancet openings at second stage, paired
lancet belfry openings with clock faces above, and a broach
spire with lucarnes Interior: double-chamfered nave arcade
with alternating circular and octagonal columns with moulded
capitals and bases. Arch-braced roof trusses spring from
carved corbels Waggon roof to chancel. Alabaster font and
pulpit. Stained glass. Timber fittings. The 2 west bays and
the north aisle have been partitioned off in C20.


Listing NGR: SJ9200695477

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.