History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

St Annes Rectory

A Grade II* Listed Building in Denton North East, Tameside

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.4571 / 53°27'25"N

Longitude: -2.1007 / 2°6'2"W

OS Eastings: 393411

OS Northings: 395603

OS Grid: SJ934956

Mapcode National: GBR FXSG.0F

Mapcode Global: WHB9Q.PCWJ

Entry Name: St Annes Rectory

Listing Date: 20 July 1977

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1067970

English Heritage Legacy ID: 212704

Location: Tameside, M34

County: Tameside

Electoral Ward/Division: Denton North East

Built-Up Area: Denton

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester

Church of England Parish: Haughton St Anne

Church of England Diocese: Manchester

Find accommodation in
Hyde

Listing Text

DENTON SAINT ANNE'S DRIVE
SJ93419560 (South Side)

1478/4/50 St Anne's Rectory

20.6.77

G.V. II*

Rectory. 1882. J.M. and H. Taylor. Brick with clay tile
roof. Irregular 2 and 3-storey building in a free Gothic
style with gabled crosswings flanking a central section with
a half-octagonal stair tower in the left angle. Ground and
first floor bands. Between the crosswings is an open porch
in the right angle with hipped roof. 6-light mullion and
transom stair window on the first floor. Gabled oriel window
to left crosswing rising from a weathered buttress flanked
by 2 segmental-headed recesses. A sash window in the right
crosswing has a carved tympanum panel below a relieving
arch. Windows are generally 4-pane sashes. Banded fishscale
roof tiles. Elaborate brick chimney stacks and a conical
stair tower roof (echoing that of the church) add to the
already interesting skyline.

The interior is of equal variety and quality. Pitch pine
panelling, doors, dado rails and fitted furniture remain
in most of the principal rooms. Octagonal dining room with
cast-iron corner fireplace which has Delft tiles and
panelled overmantel with stained glass window. Similar
fireplace and overmantel in the study, which also has fitted
furniture and a small stone window above with stained and
patterned glass. An inglenook fireplace formerly existed in
the main reception room but has been removed. Pitch pine
staircase leading to a landing from which a spiral stair
gives access to the top storey. Landing arcade supported on
circular pier. The large staircase window has stained and
painted glass dated 1882. Stained and painted glass panels in
some other windows.

The rectory is not only of fine quality in itself but forms an
outstanding group with the adjacent Church of St Anne, (qv),
of similar date and by the same architects.

Listing NGR: SJ9341195603

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.