This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.4522 / 53°27'7"N
Longitude: -2.1123 / 2°6'44"W
OS Eastings: 392640
OS Northings: 395055
OS Grid: SJ926950
Mapcode National: GBR FXPJ.H6
Mapcode Global: WHB9Q.JHCB
Entry Name: Church of St Lawrence
Listing Date: 27 November 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1067971
English Heritage Legacy ID: 212709
Location: Tameside, M34
Electoral Ward/Division: Denton North East
Built-Up Area: Denton
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester
Church of England Parish: Denton St Lawrence
Church of England Diocese: Manchester
DENTON TOWN LANE
SJ 99 NW (north side)
4/53 Church of
27/11/67 St. Lawrence
Church. Nave c.1530, chancel and transepts 1872 by J.
Medland and Henry Taylor. Timber-framed structure which was
weather-boarded on the south and rendered over on the north
side in 1862 but painted to retain its character. Graduated
stone slate roof. Cruxiform plan with west gallery and
bellcote. 4-bay nave has stone plinth, coved eaves and 3 or
5-light mullioned windows in each bay. Central west door
with blocked window above. The chancel, under a continuous
roof, and the transepts, under parallel roofs, continue in
the same style but with more elaboration to the east end
which has foiled openings, rosettes on the barge boards and
a 5-light east window. The bellcote has a pyramidal roof and
has been restored to reveal the decorative framing.
Interior: 6 structural bays of the timber-framed structure
remain. The shaped posts and curved braces support tie-beam
roof trusses which have inclined struts, purlins with cusped
bracing and a ceiling at collar level. Between the posts the
framing is concealed by plaster or removed completely where
transepts and chancel adjoin. West gallery supported on C19
cast-iron columns. Early C18 baluster font. Pews 1859. Part
of former wardens pew of C17 and C18 preserved beneath
gallery. Other carved timberwork of C19 and C20 dates. The
windows incorporate fragmentary early C16 glass from former
east window. Edward Holland memorial, 1655 - oval
inscription plate between short columns supporting scrolls
and the coat of arms. Dame Mary Asheton memorial wall tablet,
1721. The building is an important early survival of a
timber-framed church. J. Booker, A History of the ancient
chapel of Denton.
Listing NGR: SJ9264095055
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings