History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Former Moravian College

A Grade II Listed Building in Droylsden East, Tameside

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.4753 / 53°28'30"N

Longitude: -2.1489 / 2°8'55"W

OS Eastings: 390215

OS Northings: 397624

OS Grid: SJ902976

Mapcode National: GBR FXF7.KY

Mapcode Global: WHB9H.YXW5

Entry Name: Former Moravian College

Listing Date: 17 November 1966

Last Amended: 14 July 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1067979

English Heritage Legacy ID: 212726

Location: Tameside, M43

County: Tameside

Electoral Ward/Division: Droylsden East

Built-Up Area: Droylsden

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester

Church of England Parish: Droylsden St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Manchester

Find accommodation in
Openshaw

Listing Text

DROYLSDEN FAIRFIELD SQUARE
SJ 99 NW

4/70 Nos. 13, 13A and
14
(Former Moravian
College)
(formerly listed as
Nos 11, llA, 12, 13, No 14
17/11/66 (Fairfield Moravian College)

G.V. II

House, now a temporary clinic. c.1785. Flemish bond brick
with slate roof. 5 bays and 3 storeys with lower 2-storey
wings projecting to the rear at either side. Symmetrical
elevation with stone plinth and central 3 bays which are
slightly advanced. Central 6-panel door with stone eared
architrave surround and pediment. Each floor has 4 or 5 four
pane sash windows with C19 stone lintels and sills. The
elevation originally included 2 Venetian windows which were
removed in C19. Eaves are supported on bold C19 brackets.
Gable chimney stacks. The rear left wing includes No. 13,
which has been partly re-built in C19 and C20, and was partly
used as the Moravian girls boarding school from 1796. The
house itself was intended to house single Moravian women
(sisters). It was changed to the girls boarding school in
1876 and in 1906-1958 was the Moravian Theological College.


Listing NGR: SJ9021597624

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.