History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Fairfield Moravian Church

A Grade II* Listed Building in Droylsden East, Tameside

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.4752 / 53°28'30"N

Longitude: -2.1497 / 2°8'58"W

OS Eastings: 390161

OS Northings: 397617

OS Grid: SJ901976

Mapcode National: GBR FXF7.DY

Mapcode Global: WHB9H.YXH7

Entry Name: Fairfield Moravian Church

Listing Date: 17 November 1966

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1067981

English Heritage Legacy ID: 212732

Location: Tameside, M43

County: Tameside

Electoral Ward/Division: Droylsden East

Built-Up Area: Droylsden

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester

Church of England Parish: Droylsden St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Manchester

Find accommodation in
Openshaw

Listing Text

DROYLSDEN FAIRFIELD SQUARE
SJ 99 NW

4/76 Nos. 15A, 28 and
30 and Fairfield
17/11/66 Moravian Church

G.V. II*

Church, house and manse (No. 28). c.1785. Header bond brick
with slate roof. 8-bay gallery-plan church with cross-axial
entrance flanked on either side by lower 3-bay 2-storey
houses with central-entrance plans. Stone plinth and eaves
cornice. The church has a giant pediment over the central 4
bays which are slightly advanced. Central door with stone
surround and flat hood and 2 doors with eared architraves
and pediments. Tall windows in the central. 4 bays are
enlargements (probably of 1908) of the smaller original
windows which had stone sills and cambered brick arches and
still exist in the outer bays. Marginal glazing bars with
circular heads. Hipped roof with central bell and clock
cupola. The symmetrical house elevations step back from the
church and are virtually identical to each other. Stone
steps lead to 6-panel doors with eared architrave surrounds
and pediments. Each has 2 ground floor and 3 first floor
windows with stone sills, flat brick arches and 4-pane
sashes. No. 15A is entered through the right gable-end of
No. 30. Interior: virtually all internal features date from
a refitting of 1908. West gallery on slender Ionic cast-iron
columns. Timber glazed screens. Central pulpit in front of
an organ recess which is flanked by paired Ionic pilasters
and pedimented vestry doors. Timber pews and panelling. The
group forms the centrepiece of the Fairfield Moravian
Settlement which is the largest as well as the earliest of
its kind to be established in England. The doctrinal
emphasis on Christian brotherhood and community living led
to the establishment of the self-contained village by
Benjamin Latrobe. It was planned around a square, with the
church facing south over an avenue of trees, graveyards and
gardens. J. Aikin, A description of the country from
thirty to forty miles round Manchester, 1795. F.H. Mellows,
A short history of Fairfield Moravian Church, 1977.


Listing NGR: SJ9016197617

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.