History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Former Stalybridge Town Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Stalybridge North, Tameside

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.484 / 53°29'2"N

Longitude: -2.0565 / 2°3'23"W

OS Eastings: 396348

OS Northings: 398591

OS Grid: SJ963985

Mapcode National: GBR GX24.KS

Mapcode Global: WHB9K.CPYF

Entry Name: Former Stalybridge Town Hall

Listing Date: 9 August 1966

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1067987

English Heritage Legacy ID: 212646

Location: Tameside, SK15

County: Tameside

Electoral Ward/Division: Stalybridge North

Parish: Non Civil Parish

Built-Up Area: Stalybridge

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester

Church of England Parish: Stalybridge St George

Church of England Diocese: Manchester

Find accommodation in
Dukinfield

Listing Text

SJ 99 NE
4/181
9.8.66

STALYBRIDGE
WATERLOO ROAD
(north side)
Former Stalybridge Town Hall

G.V.
II

Former town hall. 1831 with large additions of 1882. Ashlar
with slate roof. Originally 3 x 5 bays with 3 storeys
(formerly including a market hall on the ground floor) but
later extended on both sides the Market Street wing filling
a triangular plot and having 2 and 3 storeys and 16 bays.
Projecting plinth, first and second floor bands and
pedimented gable. 1-storey flush portico: 3 doors between
Tuscan columns with pediment. 3 first floor windows with
architrave surrounds and 3 plain to second floor. Round
panel within gable pediment. A similar elevation is repeated
on Stamford Street. The extension is in an Italianate style
and has pilasters on ground and first floor of the central 5
bays. The central 3 have a pediment which surrounds the
appropriate crest of arms and is topped by a small second
pediment over the 1882 datestone. Windows have shouldered
architraves and are round-arched on first floor. The right
hand corner has 3 tiers of clasping pilasters and a steep
roof with crowning ironwork. Interior: the public hall,
council chamber and Lord Mayor's parlour retain original
plasterwork ceilings and cornices. The council chamber has
panelled dado, blind arcaded walls with flat pilasters,
acanthus leaf cornices and wrought iron pendant light
fittings.

Listing NGR: SJ9634898591

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.