History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Former Municipal Baths

A Grade II* Listed Building in St Peter's, Tameside

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.4849 / 53°29'5"N

Longitude: -2.1016 / 2°6'5"W

OS Eastings: 393352

OS Northings: 398687

OS Grid: SJ933986

Mapcode National: GBR FXR4.SH

Mapcode Global: WHB9J.PNFS

Entry Name: Former Municipal Baths

Listing Date: 2 April 1975

Last Amended: 14 July 1987

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1067992

English Heritage Legacy ID: 212657

Location: Tameside, OL6

County: Tameside

Electoral Ward/Division: St Peter's

Built-Up Area: Ashton-under-Lyne

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester

Church of England Parish: Ashton-under-Lyne The Good Shepherd

Church of England Diocese: Manchester

Find accommodation in
Dukinfield

Listing Text

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 10/01/2012


SJ 99 NW
4/9
2/4/75


ASHTON-UNDER-LYNE
HENRY SQUARE
(south side)
Former Municipal Baths


(Formerly listed as Hugh Mason House
(formerly listed as The Municipal Baths))


G.V.
II*


Municipal swimming baths, now industrial/office units. 1870-
71 and later. By Paull and Robinson. Flemish bond brick with
slate roof and stone dressings. Large swimming hall with
tower at north east and subsidiary accommodation at east.
Italian Romanesque style. 5-bay swimming hall has flat
pilasters, a machicolated frieze below the eaves level and 3
round-headed windows with hoodmoulds and glazing bars in the
upper storey of each bay. Other elevations are treated
similarly. A lean-to against the ground floor has a central
entrance feature with 2 arched door openings and numerous
small arched lights under dripmoulds. The Lombardic tower
has vent openings towards the top between bold
machicolations. A similarly detailed chimney rises from the
apex of the roof. To the left of the tower another elaborate
entrance surround gives access to the lower 2-storey wing
which has paired windows on the lower floor and 11 round
windows on the first floor. Interior: the swimming pool (at
the time said to be the second largest covered bath in
Europe) now filled in, is surrounded by paired columns with
moulded capitals supporting semi-circular brick arches.
Impressive hammer-beam roof. Other fittings, including doors,
staircases etc. have survived intact. Apart from being an
important early example of a Municipal swimming bath the
building is exeptional because of its forceful
architectural massing and use of stylistic features.


Listing NGR: SJ9335298687

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.