This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.4839 / 53°29'2"N
Longitude: -2.1059 / 2°6'21"W
OS Eastings: 393067
OS Northings: 398585
OS Grid: SJ930985
Mapcode National: GBR FXQ4.WT
Mapcode Global: WHB9J.MPDH
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 12 January 1967
Last Amended: 14 July 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1067994
English Heritage Legacy ID: 212664
Location: Tameside, OL7
Electoral Ward/Division: St Peter's
Built-Up Area: Ashton-under-Lyne
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester
Church of England Parish: Ashton-under-Lyne The Good Shepherd
Church of England Diocese: Manchester
ASHTON-UNDER-LYNE MANCHESTER ROAD
SJ 99 NW (south side)
4/16 Church of
12/01/67 St. Peter
Church. 1821-24. By F. Goodwin for the Church Commissioners.
Ashlar with slate roof. 3-sided gallery plan with west tower
and a small canted vestry taking the form of a chancel.
Gothic revival. 7-bay nave with weathered plinth and coped
parapet. Each bay has a 3-light transomed window with
Perpendicular tracery and hoodmould. The fine tracery is pre-
fabricated in cast iron which is painted to imitate stone.
Weathered buttresses (diagonal at corners) have crocketed
pinnacles. The east end has a rose window above the vestry
and bold octagonal pinnacled piers define the nave and
'aisles'(although there are not actually any aisles).
Impressive 3-stage tower with set-back buttresses which turn
to octagonal corner piers at the upper stages and are topped
by pinnacles, door in first stage, 3-light west window,
clock faces below gablets, tall paired lancet belfry
openings and elaborate arcaded parapet.
IINTERIOR: quatrefoil cast-iron columns support the gallery
which has an arcaded parapet and has been partitioned off
beneath the west end in C20. Gallery benches mostly survive.
Tall pannelled dado to side walls beneath gallery. Panelled
east wall, the panelling apparently coming from Manchester
Cathedral. Panelled ceiling which turns to a ribbed vault
above the gallery. Stone font. Organ has elaborate case.
Stained glass to many windows, east window by Evans of
A particularly imposing and elaborate example of a Commissioner's
Listing NGR: SJ9306798585
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings