This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.4898 / 53°29'23"N
Longitude: -2.0936 / 2°5'36"W
OS Eastings: 393887
OS Northings: 399233
OS Grid: SJ938992
Mapcode National: GBR FXT2.JR
Mapcode Global: WHB9J.TK70
Entry Name: Ashton Under Lyne Town Hall
Listing Date: 12 January 1967
Last Amended: 14 July 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1067995
English Heritage Legacy ID: 212666
Location: Tameside, OL6
Electoral Ward/Division: St Peter's
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Built-Up Area: Ashton-under-Lyne
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester
Church of England Parish: Ashton-under-Lyne The Good Shepherd
Church of England Diocese: Manchester
SJ 99 NW
as Town Hall)
Town Hall. 1840, extended in 1878. By Young and Lee. Ashlar.
7 x 8 bays with a 5-bay extension. All of 2 storeys raised
above a basement storey. Neo-classical. 5-bay centre has
attached giant columns supporting a dentilled entablature,
and a balustered parapet which conceals the roof and has
articulating dies and a datestone. Rusticated ground floor
with round-arched openings. Eared architraves to first floor
windows. Extension treated similarly but with giant
pilasters. Interior: entrance hall with Ionic columns. The
grand imperial staircase gives access to the civic hall on
the first floor. It has cast-iron balusters and a rooflight
above a coved soffit and frieze with early C18-style
plasterwork. The civic hall has a concaved coffered ceiling.
The extension houses the Council Chamber on the first floor.
Window and door openings are below round arches with
classical enrichment (which includes palm leaf motifs).
Cross-beamed ceiling supported on pilasters. Pitch Pine
doors. The C20 civic offices which adjoin are not included
in this entry.
Listing NGR: SJ9388799233
Other nearby listed buildings