This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.4872 / 53°29'13"N
Longitude: -2.0926 / 2°5'33"W
OS Eastings: 393955
OS Northings: 398948
OS Grid: SJ939989
Mapcode National: GBR FXT3.RN
Mapcode Global: WHB9J.TLQZ
Entry Name: The Methodist Church
Listing Date: 12 January 1967
Last Amended: 14 July 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1068003
English Heritage Legacy ID: 212684
Location: Tameside, OL6
Electoral Ward/Division: St Peter's
Built-Up Area: Ashton-under-Lyne
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester
Church of England Parish: Ashton-under-Lyne The Good Shepherd
Church of England Diocese: Manchester
SJ 99 NW, 4/35
ASHTON-UNDER-LYNE, STAMFORD STREET
The Methodist Church
(formerly listed as The Methodist Church, Stamford
Street (at corner of Warrington
Church. 1832. Flemish bond brick with slate roof. 4-sided
gallery plan with 7 x 4 bays and a C20 extension to east.
Pedimented front has stone plinth with slightly advanced
central two bays. Tetrastyle Greek Doric porch. Sash windows
to either side have stone sills, flat brick arches and
marginal glazing bars. Four first-floor windows have
semi-circular heads, stone sills and sashes with marginal glazing
bars. Three windows within tympanum. Side elevations repeat
similar windows. Internally the hall has been split
horizontally by a suspended ceiling above gallery level. The
gallery has a panelled parapet and is supported on fluted
columns. Pedimented organ loft on gallery to (ritual) east.
Elaborate plaster frieze with shell motifs and decorative
detailing to ceiling. Box pews remain at lower level only.
1930s light pendants of particular quality. A stone
incorporated in the right of the church is a relic from the
first chapel occupied by the Methodist New Conexion in
Ashton in 1797.
Listing NGR: SJ9395598948
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings