History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Thomas

A Grade II* Listed Building in Saddleworth West and Lees, Oldham

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.5367 / 53°32'12"N

Longitude: -2.0726 / 2°4'21"W

OS Eastings: 395286

OS Northings: 404454

OS Grid: SD952044

Mapcode National: GBR FWZJ.2X

Mapcode Global: WHB9C.4CBJ

Entry Name: Church of St Thomas

Listing Date: 22 August 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1068071

English Heritage Legacy ID: 212451

Location: Oldham, OL4

County: Oldham

Electoral Ward/Division: Saddleworth West and Lees

Built-Up Area: Lees

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester

Church of England Parish: Leesfield St Thomas

Church of England Diocese: Manchester

Find accommodation in
Oldham

Listing Text

The enry for:-
SD 90 SE LEES WEST STREET
(north side)
8/47 Church of St Thomas
II
The grade shall be amended to read :-
Grade II*

------------------------------------

SD 90 SE LEES WEST STREET
(north side)
8/47 Church of
22/8/67 St. Thomas
- II
Church. 1848. By E.H. Shellard for the Church
Commissioners with tower added in 1855, organ chamber added
1885 and minor improvements 1889. Hammer-dressed stone with
slate roof. Nave, aisles, west tower and chancel flanked by
vestry and organ chamber. Perpendicular Gothic revival. 6-
bay nave and 2-bay chancel with continuous sill band and
castellated parapet. Each bay has a weathered buttress
topped by a crocketed pinnacle and a 2-light window below
hoodmould with carved stops. Porch in bay 2 bears date 1848
above arched door. 4-light east window. 4-stage castellated
west tower with 4-centred arch door, 4-light west window,
clock faces, 3-light belfry openings and diagonal buttresses
rising into crocketed pinnacles. Interior: double-chamfered
nave arcade with octagonal columns. Hammer-beam roof trusses
spring from carved head corbels. No clerestory but dormer
windows. West gallery with blind-arcaded parapet. Poppyhead
pews, carved pulpit, dado panelling, and canopied choir
stalls by Shaw of Uppermill. Carved stone reredos and
sanctuary panelling. Stained glass, much by Capronnier,
1874-98.


Listing NGR: SD9528604454

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.