History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Dukinfield Old Chapel

A Grade II* Listed Building in Dukinfield, Tameside

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.4784 / 53°28'42"N

Longitude: -2.0864 / 2°5'11"W

OS Eastings: 394359

OS Northings: 397963

OS Grid: SJ943979

Mapcode National: GBR FXW6.2T

Mapcode Global: WHB9J.XTMS

Entry Name: Dukinfield Old Chapel

Listing Date: 17 December 1970

Last Amended: 7 February 1989

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1068077

English Heritage Legacy ID: 212465

Location: Tameside, SK16

County: Tameside

Electoral Ward/Division: Dukinfield

Built-Up Area: Dukinfield

Traditional County: Cheshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester

Church of England Parish: Dukinfield St Mark

Church of England Diocese: Chester

Find accommodation in
Dukinfield

Listing Text

SJ 99 NW, 3/9


DUKINFIELD, OLD ROAD
(east side),
Dukinfield Old Chapel

(formerly listed under Chapel Hill)

17/12/70
GV

II*

Unitarian chapel. 1840-1, replacing an earlier building of
1707. By R. Tattersall. Ashlar with slate roof. Cruciform
plan but with 3-sided gallery, aisles and an east organ.
Early C14 style. West doorway beneath a 5-light window with
geometric tracery. The gable is flanked by large octagonal
pinnacles which are buttressed at the lower stages. Small
stair wings to either side. The transepts have three lancet
windows, raked coped gables with kneelers and clasping
buttresses. Three bays to either side of the transepts have
flat buttresses, lancet aisle windows with hoodmoulds and
carved stops and lancet clerestory windows flanked by
smaller blind lancets. Interior: quatrefoil piers with cast
iron cores support galleries as well as the nave arcade.
Lofty nave and transepts have quadripartite vaulting.
Timberwork includes an elevated central pulpit. Wall
plaques. Stained glass by Comere and Capronnier, and Morris
of various dates. The north transept window (Morris)
depicts George, David and Jonathan.

Listing NGR: SJ9435997963

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.