History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Lyceum

A Grade II* Listed Building in Riverside, Liverpool

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.4045 / 53°24'16"N

Longitude: -2.9807 / 2°58'50"W

OS Eastings: 334900

OS Northings: 390186

OS Grid: SJ349901

Mapcode National: GBR 75P.7L

Mapcode Global: WH877.5PXF

Entry Name: The Lyceum

Listing Date: 28 June 1952

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1068383

English Heritage Legacy ID: 213770

Location: Liverpool, L1

County: Liverpool

Electoral Ward/Division: Riverside

Built-Up Area: Liverpool

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Merseyside

Church of England Parish: Liverpool Our Lady and St Nicholas

Church of England Diocese: Liverpool

Find accommodation in
Liverpool

Listing Text

SJ 3490 SE
53/157
28.6.52


BOLD STREET
(north-east side)
L1
The Lyceum


G.V.
II*


Club House. 1802. Thomas Harrison of Chester, built to house
the first gentlemen's subscription library in England
(1758). Ashlar, Classical, formerly one storey, the roof
raised for an additional storey later. Continuous base,
frieze, cornice and parapet. Slight forward break in centre
with Ionic columns and pediment forming a recessed portico
containing 4 entrance doors with architraves, cornices and
consoles, and 6-panel doors. At each side of the portico is
a 3-light window divided by Doric columns supporting
modillion cornice in plain reveals with segmental heads
forming blind lunette heads. Facade facing Church Street
has a forward central break; Ionic columns and panelled
parapet over. 5 windows, the outside pair with architraves,
cornice and consoles; above the 3 centre windows between
columns are sculptured plagues. Windows (1984) boarded and
portico screened.
Interior has large News Room with contemporary decorations,
and a circular library with gallery on reeded Doric columns
with iron balustrade and saucer dome with decorative plaster
work. M. Binney, 'Club Together to Save the Lyceum,'
Country Life, 24 August 1978.


Listing NGR: SJ3490090186

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.