This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.3966 / 53°23'47"N
Longitude: -2.9341 / 2°56'2"W
OS Eastings: 337982
OS Northings: 389273
OS Grid: SJ379892
Mapcode National: GBR 7HS.8D
Mapcode Global: WH877.WWZF
Entry Name: Church of St Bridget
Listing Date: 28 June 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1068396
English Heritage Legacy ID: 213710
Location: Liverpool, L15
Electoral Ward/Division: Picton
Built-Up Area: Liverpool
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Merseyside
Church of England Parish: Wavertree St Bridget
Church of England Diocese: Liverpool
SJ 38 NE BAGOT STREET
7/106 Church of Saint
Church. 1872. E. A. Heffer. Common brick with red brick
and stone dressings, red and blue brick banding and slate
roof. 9-bay nave with lean-to aisles, round chancel apse,
north west tower and narthex. Windows are round-headed
with recessed reveals. Nave and aisles have windows between
flat buttresses with corbel tables above; bracketed eaves.
5-stage tower has narrow lights. Cornice over lowest stage
and clasping pilasters above. Top stage has round-headed,
louvred bell openings and sill courses, cornice and
pyramidal roof. West front has narthex with parapet, gabled
round-headed entrance with flanking narrow lights; gable
apex has roundel with bust of Christ. 3 windows and top
roundel over. Apse has sill band and 2 windows. Gates to
narthex and inner tripartite window with flat pilasters and
pedimental panel over. Interior: Stucco. Arcades on round
scagliola columns with alternate oak and acanthus capitals.
Clerestory windows in applied arcade. Richly ornamented
coffered ceiling. Aisles have coffered half-tunnel vaults.
Western bay of nave has choir stalls and organ to north
aisle. Apse has bench all round, cornice and pilasters
between windows. Wooden altar set in middle of marble
floor. Mosaic reredos of Last Supper by Salviati. Pulpit
and altar of different coloured marble. A dignified and
impressive evocation of an Italianate basilica.
Listing NGR: SJ3798289273
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings