History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hindley Hall (Golf Clubhouse)

A Grade II Listed Building in Hindley, Wigan

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.5484 / 53°32'54"N

Longitude: -2.5797 / 2°34'46"W

OS Eastings: 361689

OS Northings: 405904

OS Grid: SD616059

Mapcode National: GBR BWFD.9Q

Mapcode Global: WH97Z.B2TL

Entry Name: Hindley Hall (Golf Clubhouse)

Listing Date: 9 June 1966

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1068426

English Heritage Legacy ID: 213572

Location: Wigan, WN2

County: Wigan

Electoral Ward/Division: Hindley

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester

Church of England Parish: Aspull St Elizabeth

Church of England Diocese: Liverpool

Find accommodation in
Hindley

Listing Text

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 27/10/2015

SD 60 NW
6/16

ASPULL
HALL LANE (west side)
Hindley Hall (Golf Clubhouse)

9.6.66

II
House. Perhaps originating 1767. Remodelled or rebuilt in 1811 when the owner, Sir Robert Holt Leigh, was in correspondence with his sister about building work; Hindley Hall is not directly mentioned, though payments for Hindley workmen are referred to. Receipts dated 1811 also mention building materials such as stone, lime and 34,300 bricks, as well as the polishing of old Italian marble chimney pieces (correspondence and receipts held in Wigan Archive Service, Leigh Town Hall; receipts in Clayton Accounts). Brick with stone dressings. 3 storeys, 7 bays, with later extension to right of 2 storeys and 2 bays; 3rd to 5th bays break forward and are slightly higher. Stone base, 2 bands and top cornice and parapet, ramped to 3-bay centre; quoins. Windows have wedge lintels and are sashed with glazing bars, those to 1st 2 bays are blind, with painted sashes. Entrance has flat pilasters and entablature with paired glazed doors. Extension has similar details; 1st floor windows and entrance to 2nd bay. Left return of 6 bays, the 6th bay breaking forward. Rear similar to front; parapet not ramped to centre, which has quoins to projecting top; C20 fire escape. Right return has small service wing. Interior: has stair with brackets to cut string and 3 turned balusters to each tread. 2nd floor, not inspected, said to have original fireplaces.


Listing NGR: SD6168905904

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.