History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bispham Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Orrell, Wigan

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.5167 / 53°31'0"N

Longitude: -2.7201 / 2°43'12"W

OS Eastings: 352346

OS Northings: 402469

OS Grid: SD523024

Mapcode National: GBR 9WFS.W2

Mapcode Global: WH86S.5VYW

Entry Name: Bispham Hall

Listing Date: 23 August 1966

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1068434

English Heritage Legacy ID: 213588

Location: Wigan, WN5

County: Wigan

Electoral Ward/Division: Orrell

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester

Church of England Parish: Orrell St Luke

Church of England Diocese: Liverpool

Find accommodation in
Upholland

Listing Text

BILLINGE-WITH-WINSTANLEY CRANK ROAD
SD 50 SW
(west side)
8/31 Bispham Hall
23.8.66
- II*
Large house. 1573 with later extensions. Dressed stone with
ashlar dressings, roof now gone (1986). 3 storeys, 5 gabled
bays, the 2nd and 4th bays project, the 1st and 5th bays
project further and are wider. Base, quoins and some
remaining coping. Most windows have double-chamfered
mullions, probably restorations, and label moulds; most
windows of 5 lights with transom. Ground floor has blocked
window to 2nd bay, inner returns of 1st, 2nd and 5th bays
have 4-light ovolo-mullioned blind windows with painted
glazing. 1st floor has 4-light window to 4th bay and ovolo-
mullioned blind windows to inner returns of 1st, 2nd and 5th
bays. 2nd floor windows have no transoms, apart from 4-light
window to 4th bay. Round-headed entrance has impost blocks,
now blocked, arms under label mould above. Gable to 5th bay
has round feature in coping. Left return has projecting
gabled bay with canted projecting centre originally with
hipped roof and rainwater head dated 1727. Continuous label
moulds to windows, those to ground floor with double-
chamfered mullions of 2 lights with transom those to 1st
floor similar, with ovolo mullions, 2nd floor windows are
ovolo-mullioned but have no transoms. Projecting lateral
stack to right. Right return has projecting lateral stack
with blocked fire windows and later lean-to shed with crow-
stepped gable to front. Projecting gabled bay has ovolo-
mullioned windows, as has extension to right. Rear has
later extensions and a truncated stack, some mullioned
windows and round-headed opening. Interior not inspected,
upper storeys destroyed by fire; Tudor-headed doorway
visible on 2nd floor; said to have large fireplaces,
staircase with turned balusters has probably not survived.
Although extensively damaged, the hall remains one of the
most complete survivals from the C16 in the historic county
of Lancashire.


Listing NGR: SD5245502493

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.