This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.4974 / 53°29'50"N
Longitude: -2.5074 / 2°30'26"W
OS Eastings: 366438
OS Northings: 400201
OS Grid: SD664002
Mapcode National: GBR BWXZ.YZ
Mapcode Global: WH986.GC74
Entry Name: Sutcliffe Speakmans Carbon Works (Formerly Leigh Brewery)
Listing Date: 19 December 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1068452
English Heritage Legacy ID: 213532
Location: Wigan, WN7
Electoral Ward/Division: Leigh East
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Built-Up Area: Atherton
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester
Church of England Parish: Leigh St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Manchester
SD 60 SE
BREWERY LANE Former Leigh Brewery
Former brewery, then a carbon processing works, 1903-10, by Christopher Simpson M.S.A., for Messrs. George Shaw and Co at a cost of £53,000 . Steel-framed, brick-clad tower (originally containing the cooling, racking and fermentation gear and water tanks), with attached range of brick-clad reinforced concrete. Tower, 4 bays (one of which is blind, containing stairs and lift shaft): 5 storeys of unequal height with smaller 2- storey recessed water tank, brick cased. Bays divided by brick pilasters with shaped capitals: variety of window arches, the most prominent being round-headed to the 4th storey: Lombard frieze. Shaped parapet rising at centre to contain the words `LEIGH BREWERY' in white bricks. Returns, 4 bays and rear, detailed as above. Adjacent range, 10 bays, 3 and 4 storeys, with concrete pilasters, the windows with varied arches as tower. The lower part with terracotta panelled parapet with scrolls, festoons and ball finials. 8 bay return with simpler decoration. Rear, as front elevation, but with some additions. The brewery was noted at the time as being uncommonly concentrated in terms of the different functions required on a large scale site. It represents an early example of the use of both steel framing and reinforced concrete ( the latter dating from 1905-6), and is one of very few pre-1914 reinforced concrete buildings to survive in this region.
Listing NGR: SJ6643800201
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings