History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Park Lane Unitarian and Free Christian Chapel

A Grade II Listed Building in Bryn, Wigan

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.5098 / 53°30'35"N

Longitude: -2.6518 / 2°39'6"W

OS Eastings: 356871

OS Northings: 401658

OS Grid: SD568016

Mapcode National: GBR 9WXV.PK

Mapcode Global: WH984.71HM

Entry Name: Park Lane Unitarian and Free Christian Chapel

Listing Date: 7 December 1966

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1068464

English Heritage Legacy ID: 213565

Location: Wigan, WN4

County: Wigan

Electoral Ward/Division: Bryn

Built-Up Area: Ashton-in-Makerfield

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester

Church of England Parish: Bryn St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Liverpool

Find accommodation in
Ince-in-Makerfield

Listing Text

ASHTON IN MAKERFIELD WIGAN ROAD
SD 50 SE
(west side)
9/9 Park Lane
Unitarian and
Free Christian
7.12.66 Chapel
II
Unitarian chapel. 1697 with alterations of 1871 and 2-storey
extension of 1867. Pebble-dashed brick with stone dressings
and stone slate roof. 5 bays, the western bay of 2 storeys
with gables to north and south. Stone base, weathered
buttresses with decorated gablets, 2 raking buttresses to
north, top corbelled frieze, 2 string courses. Straight-
headed windows with plaster surrounds and C19 glazing. 3
urns on plinths to south side. East facade has coped gable
with ball finial; 2 round-headed lights and roundel with C19
stained glass. Western bay has 2 string courses, segmental-
headed entrance to south, paired round-headed windows above
have pilasters and archivolts. Square bell turret to
junction of ridges has open sides and pyramidal shingled
roof. West facade has round-headed windows, 2 to ground
floor, one of 2 lights to 1st floor. Interior has
wainscotting formed from doors to original box pews with
initials of owners and date 1697. Arch-braced canted ceiling
conceals original roof trusses. West gallery over entrance
hall of school. Original pulpit at east end has bolection-
moulded panels, and brass memorial plaque dated 1775 from a
chapel at Prescot. The oldest non-conformist chapel in the
district.


Listing NGR: SD5687101658

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.