History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Michael

A Grade II Listed Building in North Middleton, Rochdale

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.5477 / 53°32'51"N

Longitude: -2.1906 / 2°11'26"W

OS Eastings: 387467

OS Northings: 405689

OS Grid: SD874056

Mapcode National: GBR FW4D.JZ

Mapcode Global: WHB99.B333

Entry Name: Church of St Michael

Listing Date: 19 September 1969

Last Amended: 23 March 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1068468

English Heritage Legacy ID: 213467

Location: Rochdale, M24

County: Rochdale

Electoral Ward/Division: North Middleton

Built-Up Area: Middleton (Rochdale)

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester

Church of England Parish: Tonge-cum-Alkrington St Michael

Church of England Diocese: Manchester

Find accommodation in
Middleton

Listing Text

MIDDLETON TOWNLEY STREET
SD 80 NE
(east side)
2/27
Church of St Michael
19/9/69
(formerly listed as
St Michael's and All
Angels, Tonge)
- II
Church. 1902 with side chapel added in 1926 and tower in
1930. By Austin and Paley. Snecked stone with clay tile
roof. Nave with clerestory and aisles, chancel flanked by
side chapel, vestry and organ chamber; virtually free
standing tower to west of north aisle. Gothic Revival in a
Perpendicular style. 4-bay nave and aisle with weathered
buttresses. 2, 3 and 4-light flat-headed aisle windows and
3-light round-arched clerestory windows with Perpendicular
tracery. Coped gables with kneelers and cross finials.
Transversely roofed organ chamber and vestry, both gabled.
5-light west and east windows the former above a canted
baptistry. The 4-stage tower has diagonal buttresses, an
octagonal corner stair turret, bands separating each stage,
a door below chequer-patterned stonework, a 4-light window,
clock-faces on the third stage, 3-light belfry openings and
a castellated parapet above a blind mouchette frieze.
Interior: rock-faced stone. Double-chamfered arches on
octagonal nave arcade columns. Tie-beam and collar roof
trusses. Carved stone and timber fittings. Stained glass.
The church stands on an elevated site.


Listing NGR: SD8746705689

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.