This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.5246 / 53°31'28"N
Longitude: -2.4856 / 2°29'8"W
OS Eastings: 367904
OS Northings: 403215
OS Grid: SD679032
Mapcode National: GBR CW2P.P7
Mapcode Global: WH980.SNKT
Entry Name: Chowbent Unitarian Chapel
Listing Date: 15 July 1966
Last Amended: 27 July 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1068472
English Heritage Legacy ID: 213471
Location: Wigan, M46
Electoral Ward/Division: Atherton
Built-Up Area: Atherton
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester
Church of England Parish: Atherton and Hindsford
Church of England Diocese: Manchester
ATHERTON BOLTON OLD ROAD
SD 60 SE
2/3 Chowbent Unitarian
15/7/66 as Chowbent Chapel)
Chapel, originally Presbyterian. 1721 replacing an earlier
building of 1645. Flemish bond brick with stone dressings
and slate roof. 3-sided-gallery.plan.A 2-storey entrance
wing of 1901 dominates the front elevation. It has a gable
pediment, an entrance with fanlight and keystone, a sundial,
a commemorative plaque and an oculus within the tympanum.
Abutments to either side obscure the original entrance
doors. The 3-bay side elevations and 4-bay rear have a stone
plinth, quoins and an eaves cornice on shaped brackets. Each
bay has a round-arched window which is keyed into a
continuous band on both first and second floor levels. C19
vestry to right. Elegant open cupola with lead roof and
weather-vane. Interior: an outstanding and virtually
complete survival with a central 3-decker pulpit surrounded
by box pews on 3 sides. The pews have raised and fielded
panels and have only been replaced on the rear gallery.
Turned oak columns support the gallery and a second tier the
roof. C18 commemorative tablets include one above the
pulpit to J. Wood, died 1759, which has swept sides and is
topped by an urn. Studded oak vestry door rehung from the
earlier 1645 chapel. Stained glass, some by Shrigley and
Hunt. The 1901 interior is not without quality especially in
its timber and glass fittings. Generally a fine example of
well preserved early C18 non-conformist architecture.
J. Wright, The storey of Chowbent Chapel, 1921.
Listing NGR: SD6790403215
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings