History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St. Thomas New Hey

A Grade II Listed Building in Milnrow and Newhey, Rochdale

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.6022 / 53°36'8"N

Longitude: -2.096 / 2°5'45"W

OS Eastings: 393742

OS Northings: 411745

OS Grid: SD937117

Mapcode National: GBR FVTS.0F

Mapcode Global: WHB8Y.SQ2B

Entry Name: Church of St. Thomas New Hey

Listing Date: 23 April 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1068490

English Heritage Legacy ID: 213422

Location: Rochdale, OL16

County: Rochdale

Electoral Ward/Division: Milnrow and Newhey

Built-Up Area: Newhey

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester

Church of England Parish: Newhey St Thomas

Church of England Diocese: Manchester

Find accommodation in
Littleborough

Listing Text

SD 91 SW MILNROW CHURCH STREET
(north-east side)
3/84 Church of
St. Thomas
- New Hey

- II
Church. 1876-7. By H. Lloyd for James Heap. Rock-faced stone
with white stone dressings and fishscale slate roof. Nave
with clerestory, aisles, transepts, south-west tower and a
chancel. Gothic revival. 5-bay nave and aisles with
projecting plinth and weathered buttresses. Each bay has
paired lights with Geometrical tracery and hoodmould in the
aisles and two paired clerestory lights with cusped heads.
4-light transept windows. Coped gables with kneelers and
cross finials. Chancel flanked by vestry and organ chamber
has 5-light east window. The 4-stage tower has diagonal
gableted buttresses topped by crocketed pinnacles, a
crocketed triangular hoodmould above the door, an arcade of
cusped lights at the first stage, a circular opening at the
second, and paired belfry lights. The broach spire which has
lucarnes and a weather-cock is set back behind an enriched
parapet. Interior: Double-chamfered nave arcade on circular
columns with naturalistic capitals and moulded bases. The
tall transept arches are flanked by small secondary arches.
Alternating arch-braced and tie-beam roof trusses. Blind
arcading to sanctuary. Stone font and pulpit. Stained glass.
Timber fittings. The church is a very close copy of Holy
Trinity Church Western Super Mare (Lloyd 1861). It takes
advantage of its dominating site and starkly contrasting
materials to produce a distinctive and imposing building.


Listing NGR: SD9374211745

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.