History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Castle

A Grade II Listed Building in Milnrow and Newhey, Rochdale

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.6051 / 53°36'18"N

Longitude: -2.0704 / 2°4'13"W

OS Eastings: 395441

OS Northings: 412059

OS Grid: SD954120

Mapcode National: GBR FVZR.KD

Mapcode Global: WHB8Z.5NC4

Entry Name: The Castle

Listing Date: 24 January 1967

Last Amended: 23 April 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1068497

English Heritage Legacy ID: 213435

Location: Rochdale, OL16

County: Rochdale

Electoral Ward/Division: Milnrow and Newhey

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester

Church of England Parish: Newhey St Thomas

Church of England Diocese: Manchester

Find accommodation in
Littleborough

Listing Text

SD 91 SE MILNROW LOWER OGDEN
Lane Bottom
4/97
The Castle
(formerly listed
as file Castle
24/1/67 Farmhouse)
G.V.
II
Farmhouse, now house. "IT 1715" on porch lintel although the
house is likely to date from late C17. Hammer-dressed stone
with graduated stone slate roof. 3-unit plan with 2 storeys.
Projecting plinth, quoins and continuous dripmould. Single-
storey porch between bays 2 and 3 has a moulded surround, an
obtuse-angled lintel with recessed spandrels, and a gable.
Each bay has a 5-light double-chamfered mullion window on
each floor except for the house-part window which is 6
lights and a small single light above the porch which is of
C20 date. Coped gables with kneelers. 2 rendered ridge
chimney stacks. 3-light windows inserted to each gable-end
in C20, the right also having a C20 bow window. Single-
storey lean-to addition to rear, a C20 extension to rear
right and a small C20 wing with a lintel dated "IT 1710"
which was removed from the old shippon. Rear windows include
two of 2 lights (one a fire window) which have been partly
obscured by the lean-to addition and two of 3-lights with
double-chamfered mullions. Interior: Chamfered floor beams
with stepped or run-out stops. A staircase now takes the
place of an inglenook fireplace but the 2 small wall
cupboards remain, one having an oak door with butterfly
hinges. First floor fireplace with chamfered surround and obtuse-
angled lintel with recessed spandrels.


Listing NGR: SD9544112059

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.