History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Duke

A Grade II Listed Building in Littleborough Lakeside, Rochdale

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.6431 / 53°38'35"N

Longitude: -2.0886 / 2°5'19"W

OS Eastings: 394236

OS Northings: 416290

OS Grid: SD942162

Mapcode National: GBR FVV9.MS

Mapcode Global: WHB8R.WPLH

Entry Name: The Old Duke

Listing Date: 23 April 1986

Last Amended: 30 September 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1068508

English Heritage Legacy ID: 213359

Location: Rochdale, OL15

County: Rochdale

Electoral Ward/Division: Littleborough Lakeside

Built-Up Area: Littleborough

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester

Church of England Parish: Littleborough Holy Trinity

Church of England Diocese: Manchester

Find accommodation in
Littleborough

Listing Text

In the entry for LITTLEBOROUGH EALEES

1/26
No 10 (Ye Olde Duke) and 12

The address shall be amended to read EALEES

No 10 (The Old Duke) and 12

The last line of the list description should be amended to read
"1860, used as a public house - The Duke of York"

------------------------------------


SD 91 NW LITTLEBOROUGH EALEES
1/26 No. 10
(Ye Olde Duke)
- and 12

G.V. II
House and 3 workers' cottages (now a house) added at rear.
1820 for Edmund Kershaw, engine maker. Cottages added in
1850s. Hammer-dressed watershot stone with graduated stone
slate roof. Single-depth central-entrance house with 3 bays
and 3 storeys with 3 one-room (plus attic and cellar)
cottages at rear. Symmetrical elevation has quoins, central
door with square-cut surrounds and 6 or 4-pane sash windows
(two of which are replaced by C20 casements) on ground and
first floors. Continuous workshop window on top floor most
of the flat-faced mullioned lights having been rendered
over. Gable chimney stacks. The rear cottages, entered at
first floor level, each have a square-cut door surround, a
2-light flat-faced mullion window and eaves which have been
raised to accommodate another storey. The house was, in
1860, used as a public house - The Duke of Norfolk.


Listing NGR: SD9423616290

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.