History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of the Holy Trinity

A Grade II Listed Building in Littleborough Lakeside, Rochdale

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.6442 / 53°38'39"N

Longitude: -2.0939 / 2°5'38"W

OS Eastings: 393888

OS Northings: 416416

OS Grid: SD938164

Mapcode National: GBR FVT9.GC

Mapcode Global: WHB8R.TN2M

Entry Name: Church of the Holy Trinity

Listing Date: 2 January 1967

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1068518

English Heritage Legacy ID: 213376

Location: Rochdale, OL15

County: Rochdale

Electoral Ward/Division: Littleborough Lakeside

Built-Up Area: Littleborough

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester

Church of England Parish: Littleborough Holy Trinity

Church of England Diocese: Manchester

Find accommodation in
Littleborough

Listing Text

SD 91 NW LITTLEBOROUGH LODGE STREET
(east side)

1/41 Church of the
2/1/67 Holy Trinity

G.V. II
Church. Rebuilt 1818-1820 by Thomas Taylor of Leeds with
chancel 1889 by Crowther. Dressed stone and ashlar with
slate roof. 3-sided gallery plan with central west tower and
comparatively large chancel. 5-bay nave has weathered plinth
and castellated parapet. Each bay has a weathered gableted
buttress incorporating a gargoyle and a 3-light window with
interlaced tracery. The tower is flanked by stair bays; it
has 3 stages with diagonal buttresses, a door at ground
level, moulded bands, arched openings on the second and
third stages, a coped parapet incorporating gabled clock
faces, corner pinnacles and a steeple with lucarnes. The 3-
bay chancel is in an accomplished Perpendicular style having
3-light windows, a priest's door, buttresses with crocketed
pinnacles and a 7-light east window. The roof is steeper and
has a higher ridge-line than that of the nave. Interior:
gallery on cast-iron columns, arch-braced roof trusses and
a heavily moulded chancel arch. The chancel is lined with
red sandstone and has double-hammer-beam roof trusses with
angelic minstrels as well as a piscina and sedilia. Timber
fittings and stained glass.


Listing NGR: SD9388816416

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.