History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Former Schoolroom at Stocking Farm

A Grade II Listed Building in Calver, Derbyshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.2689 / 53°16'7"N

Longitude: -1.6323 / 1°37'56"W

OS Eastings: 424622

OS Northings: 374714

OS Grid: SK246747

Mapcode National: GBR KZ1M.DX

Mapcode Global: WHCD1.W3XC

Entry Name: Former Schoolroom at Stocking Farm

Listing Date: 19 June 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1068689

English Heritage Legacy ID: 81619

Location: Calver, Derbyshire Dales, Derbyshire, S32

County: Derbyshire

District: Derbyshire Dales

Civil Parish: Calver

Traditional County: Derbyshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire

Church of England Parish: Curbar All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Derby

Find accommodation in
Curbar

Listing Text

PARISH OF CALVER KINGSGATE
SK 27 SW
2/53 (North Side)
Former Schoolroom at
Stocking Farm
II
Schoolroom, now farm outbuildings. Early C19. Coursed squared
gritstone with ashlar dressings and quoins. Cement tile roof,
has gabled bellcote to south. Two storeys. East elevation of
three irregular bays. The ground floor has a blocked round
arched doorway with key and impost blocks, now within a C20
lean-to not of special interest. To the left is a segemental
arched cart entrance with keyblock. To the left again in a
straight flight of stone steps partly supported on two circular
columns. These lead up to a doorway with plain ashlar surround
and plank door. To the left a circular window with ashlar
surround, and to the right are two 3-light windows with
chamfered stone mullions and a transom. The south gable end has
an inserted cart entrance with timber lintel, and beneath the
bellcote a blocked round-arched window with moulded impost band.
The Schoolroom was built after 1817 by Horatio Mason of Calver
Mill as a Sunday School and with the passing of the 1833 Factory
Act it became the Mill School.


Listing NGR: SK2462274714

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.