History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Glen House

A Grade II Listed Building in Epworth, North Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.5254 / 53°31'31"N

Longitude: -0.8207 / 0°49'14"W

OS Eastings: 478273

OS Northings: 403844

OS Grid: SE782038

Mapcode National: GBR QWQN.3Y

Mapcode Global: WHFFC.CND5

Entry Name: Glen House

Listing Date: 10 September 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1068726

English Heritage Legacy ID: 165128

Location: Epworth, North Lincolnshire, DN9

County: North Lincolnshire

Civil Parish: Epworth

Built-Up Area: Epworth

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Epworth St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Epworth

Listing Text

SE 7803-7903
20/67

EPWORTH
HIGH STREET
(north side)

No 24 (Glen House)

GV
II

House. 1779 with minor alterations of 1930s. Brown brick in Flemish bond,
rendered below ground-floor sill level. Pantile roof. L-shaped on plan:
2-room, central entrance-hall front with single-room wing to rear left.
2 storeys, 3 bays; symmetrical. Central bay breaks forward. Entrance has
stone step to pedimented doorcase with slim ribbed pilasters carrying
dosserets with moulded cornice and moulded pediment; deep overlight with
geometric glazing over recessed 6-panel door (4 fielded panels over flush
panels). Three-quarters height flat-roofed canted bay windows to either
side have C20 plate-glass sashes to each floor in original wood surrounds
with sills, architraves and moulded cornices. Narrow central first-floor
sash with C20 plate-glass sash in original opening with flush wooden
architrave and sill beneath stucco flat arch. Plain wooden eaves board,
bracketed corniced wooden gutter. Stone-coped gables with shaped kneelers.
Corniced end stacks. Rainwater head to left gable bears inscription:

V
J S
1779

Interior. Hall has fine open-well cantilevered staircase with ramped and
wreathed corniced handrail, slender drop-on-vase balusters with square
knops, clustered foot newel and profiled cheek-pieces; moulded cornice and
frieze to upper hall ceiling with plasterwork fan motif; moulded cornice and
ribbed frieze to lower hall ceiling. Ground-floor front rooms have moulded
cornices, ribbed friezes and boxed-in spine beams to ceilings, basket-arched
alcoves flanking chimneys. Moulded skirting, fielded-panel window reveals
and 6-fielded-panel doors (some with H and L hinges) in ovolo-moulded
architraves.

Listing NGR: SE7827303844

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.