This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.6071 / 54°36'25"N
Longitude: -2.7423 / 2°44'32"W
OS Eastings: 352148
OS Northings: 523802
OS Grid: NY521238
Mapcode National: GBR 9H95.28
Mapcode Global: WH81J.VG9G
Entry Name: Lowther Castle
Listing Date: 6 February 1968
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1068767
English Heritage Legacy ID: 74345
Location: Lowther, Eden, Cumbria, CA10
Civil Parish: Lowther
Traditional County: Westmorland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Askham with Lowther
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
NY 52 SW LOWTHER LOWTHER
12/137 Lowther Castle
Country house built as sham castle, now a ruin without roof. 1806-14 on site of
medieval hall, by Sir Robert Smirke for 1st Earl of Lonsdale. Calciferous
sandstone ashlar with string course and battlemented parapets. Tall central
square stair tower behind, and projecting above, 3-storey, 3-bay centre flanked
by 2-storey, 3-bay wings. Low flanking recessed 3-bay links to 2-storey, 3-bay
end pavilions; each angle with either a circular or octagonal turret. Central
porte-cochere has pointed arches under tracery stone panels, battlemented
parapet and octagonal, panelled turrets. Central bays have mixed fenestration
of 4-light Tudor window over porch and pointed-arched windows. Ground floor
pointed-arched tracery windows in wings under 2-light Tudor-style windows.
Pavilions have 2-light Tudor-style windows. All windows now without tracery or
mullions. House was closed in 1935 (it had over 260 rooms and had cost £77,000)
and partly used as a tank training range during World War II. Contents sold in
1947 and roof removed 1957. See Colvin, Crook & Friedman, Architectural
Drawings from Lowther Castle, 1980: Transactions Cumberland & Westmorland
Antiquarian & Archaeological Society, new series, lxxxi, pp.122-136 and lxxxiv,
pp.191-204. See also D. Sutherland, The Yellow Earl, 1965, for the later
history of the castle.
Listing NGR: NY5214823802
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings