History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Warden's House

A Grade II Listed Building in Epworth, North Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.5255 / 53°31'31"N

Longitude: -0.8234 / 0°49'24"W

OS Eastings: 478094

OS Northings: 403848

OS Grid: SE780038

Mapcode National: GBR QWPN.JX

Mapcode Global: WHFFC.BN44

Entry Name: Warden's House

Listing Date: 10 September 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1068793

English Heritage Legacy ID: 165141

Location: Epworth, North Lincolnshire, DN9

County: North Lincolnshire

Civil Parish: Epworth

Built-Up Area: Epworth

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Epworth St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Epworth

Listing Text

SE 7803-7903
20/80

EPWORTH
HIGH STREET
(south side)

No 39 (Warden's House)

GV
II

House for Warden of Wesley Memorial Church (qv). 1888-9 by Charles Bell.
Rock-faced ashlar to front and sides, yellow brick to rear; ashlar dressings
throughout. Welsh slate roof. T-shaped on plan. 2 storeys. North front
has entrance in single-bay range to left, with projecting single-bay gabled
wing to right. Chamfered plinth, quoins. Chamfered rounded-trefoil doorway
beneath pointed hoodmould with carved stops. Board door with ornate wrought
ironwork. Small single-light sash in quoined surround above. Wing to right
has 3-light ground-floor window and 2-light first-floor window with
chamfered mullions and reveals, quoined surrounds, segmental relieving
arches and sashes with 4 small panes over 2 larger panes. Coped gables with
shaped kneelers and trefoil finials. Axial stack with offset and ashlar
shaft. Part of an unusually ornate group of Methodist buildings, erected in
commemoration of the founder of Methodism, John Wesley (1703-91), and the
Wesley family of Epworth. Included for group value only.

Listing NGR: SE7809403848

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.