History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

St Radegund's Abbey Farmhouse and Outhouse

A Grade II* Listed Building in Hougham Without, Kent

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1316 / 51°7'53"N

Longitude: 1.2508 / 1°15'2"E

OS Eastings: 627538

OS Northings: 141956

OS Grid: TR275419

Mapcode National: GBR W1C.YX8

Mapcode Global: VHLH9.MTMC

Entry Name: St Radegund's Abbey Farmhouse and Outhouse

Listing Date: 17 August 1952

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1068889

English Heritage Legacy ID: 178595

Location: Hougham Without, Dover, Kent, CT15

County: Kent

District: Dover

Civil Parish: Hougham Without

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent

Find accommodation in
River

Listing Text

TR 24 SE HOUGHAM ABBEY ROAD
(south side)
4/66
St. Radegund's
27.8.52 Abbey Farmhouse
and Outhouse
GV II*
Monastic refectory, now house. Early C13, converted to house c.1590
for Simon Edolph, and altered C18.Restored 1981. pressed stone, flint and
rubble, with some red brick details, and plain tiled roof. Two storeys on
undercroft, with hipped roof, and brick stacks to rear centre and rear
left. Projecting hipped 2 storey porch to right. Patterned stonework
throughout (of c.1590) with triangular panels, lozenge-shaped ashlar
set in flint panels, and alternating stone and flint blocks. Two cross
windows on first floor, and wooden 4 light mullioned and transomed
window to left, and stone 3 light to centre right on ground floor, both
insertions into earlier openings with label hoods over. Blocked brick
basement opening to left, and 2 wooden casements to centre and to right.
Porch at end right, with leaded wooden casements on first floor, and
moulded round headed arch with imposts and keystone, and spandrels with
shields, and pilaster and cornice surround; at head of flights of 8
steps, with multi-panelled and moulded original door, in keyed and impost
inner doorway. Right-return: tile hung. Rear elevation with greater
evidence of medieval openings, including chamfered doorway, and 3 massive
buttresses. Refectory pulpit remains embedded at first floor level; to
rear right (south-east of house) a single storeyed wing, with corrugated
iron roof, of flint on dressed stone, with boarded door and wooden
casement to east front, being the remains of monastic "common house".
Interior: screens passage, C13 4 bay vaulted undercroft. The Abbey was
founded 1191 for Premonstratensian Canons, colonised directly from
Premontre; major building took place only in the early C13, however, the
foundation declining by about 1450, dissolved 1538, and purchased by Simon
Edolph 1590. (See Sir William St. John Hope, Arch. Cant. 14,1882; see
also B.O.E. Kent II 1983, 439-440; see also I.W. Green, Kent Life, June
1970).


Listing NGR: TR2764342124

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.