History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Dungeness Lighthousemen's Dwellings

A Grade II Listed Building in Lydd, Kent

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.9135 / 50°54'48"N

Longitude: 0.9701 / 0°58'12"E

OS Eastings: 608879

OS Northings: 116875

OS Grid: TR088168

Mapcode National: GBR T12.L2K

Mapcode Global: FRA D6XP.HRM

Entry Name: Dungeness Lighthousemen's Dwellings

Listing Date: 28 November 1950

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1068933

English Heritage Legacy ID: 175194

Location: Lydd, Shepway, Kent, TN29

County: Kent

District: Shepway

Civil Parish: Lydd

Built-Up Area: Dungeness

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent

Find accommodation in
Lydd

Listing Text

Dungeness
1.
1355
Lighthousemen's
TR 01 NE 6/54 28.11.50. Dwellings.
II
2.
These dwellings are formed out of the remains of the lighthouse erected
by William Coke of Holkham in 1792 Architect Samuel Wyatt. When a new
lighthouse was erected in 1904, the upper parts of the older lighthouse
were demolished, but the 2 lowest storeys were left and converted into
dwellings for the lighthouse keepers, to which 2 separate houses had been
added in the early C19. The remains of the original structure form a
circular building with a hollow centre making a little circular courtyard.
2 storeys stuccoed. Flat roof with cornice and parapet. 16 sashes with
glazing bars intact. Every 4th window bay projects with a door on the
ground floor and window above. In the early C19, 2 more separate dwellings
were added on the south east and south west sides of the original building.
These are little square single-storey houses or pavilions with 2 windows
facing each way. Stuccoed. Hipped slate roofs with wide eaves cornice.
Glazing bars intact. On the inner side of each is a little gabled porch
with a window facing inwards and a 6 panel door. On the outer side of
each building is the coat of arms of Trinity House.


Listing NGR: TR0887916875

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.