This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.0728 / 51°4'22"N
Longitude: 1.0841 / 1°5'2"E
OS Eastings: 616149
OS Northings: 134915
OS Grid: TR161349
Mapcode National: GBR V0L.QWX
Mapcode Global: FRA F658.S7N
Entry Name: The Parish Church of St Leonard
Listing Date: 3 January 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1068961
English Heritage Legacy ID: 175160
Location: Hythe, Shepway, Kent, CT21
Civil Parish: Hythe
Built-Up Area: Hythe
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
THE PARISH CHURCH OF ST LEONARD
Dates from circa 1100. Alterations by J L Pearson in 1880s. Built of Kentish ragstone with Caen stone window dressings. The interior has a 4 bay nave and North and South aisles with Cl3 and c14 pillars. Clerestory. Chancel arch.
North and South transepts. The tower was added in 1751 and the South Transept
is also c18. The Ambulatory built circa 1220 AD houses a neatly stacked collection of 1200 skulls and 8000 thigh bones of the C13 and c14. It is thought that these were exhumed from the graveyard in order to make more space for the plague victims of the C14 and C15.
Listing NGR: TR1615234913
Other nearby listed buildings