History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Anchor Inn and House Adjoining to Rear

A Grade II Listed Building in Yalding, Kent

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.2225 / 51°13'20"N

Longitude: 0.4187 / 0°25'7"E

OS Eastings: 568998

OS Northings: 149809

OS Grid: TQ689498

Mapcode National: GBR NQB.BPD

Mapcode Global: VHJMK.6JQQ

Entry Name: The Anchor Inn and House Adjoining to Rear

Listing Date: 14 October 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1069056

English Heritage Legacy ID: 174901

Location: Yalding, Maidstone, Kent, ME18

County: Kent

District: Maidstone

Civil Parish: Yalding

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent

Church of England Parish: Yalding St Peter and St Paul

Church of England Diocese: Rochester

Find accommodation in
Yalding

Listing Text

YALDING HAMPSTEAD LANE
TQ 6849 & 6949
(south-west side)
7/104 The Anchor
Inn and House
ajoining to
rear
GV II

House, outbuilding, or special purpose building (possibly a public house).
Associated with canal, probably as public house, from about 1780, when
canal and lock were constructed. C17 or earlier. Rear addition circa 1780.
Situated on north-west bank of river Medway, in angle between river and
west bank of canal, and facing into the angle. 5 timber-framed bays.
Timber framed, rendered. Right gable end partly clad with painted brick.
Thatched roof. 1 storeys. Roof hipped to left, half-hipped to right.
Red brick ridge stack in narrow second bay from left. Small dormer with
eight-paned casement, under slanted thatched roof to right of centre.
Small raised thatched 'apron' under stack and under dormer. Irregular
ground-floor fenestration of 3 paned casements; one two-light to left end,
one shallow four-light 'oriel' on brackets towards centre, and one small
casement towards right end. Boarded door to left of stack and half-glazed
door to right of centre. Rear lean-to to right. Addition of c.1780
at right-angles to rear to left : brick ground floor, tile-hung rear half
gable. Plain tile-roof. 1½ storeys, with half-hipped mansard roof. Red
and grey brick stack to right side. Flat -roofed dormer to long left side.
Small single light to rear gable end. Lean-to to long right side, built
up to two storeys. Interior: gunstock-jowled posts to main range. Tie-
beam to right end of left bay morticed for partition. Slightly higher
ceiling to two bays right of stack. Axial beam to left end bay. Right
end bay has close-set axial joists, stair trimmer to rear left corner,
curved tension brace to front wall, and blocked two-light window with
wooden cill. Other ceilings and roof-space plastered. Mid-to-late C20
addition to left not compatible.


Listing NGR: TQ6899849808

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.