This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.3017 / 51°18'6"N
Longitude: 0.9352 / 0°56'6"E
OS Eastings: 604704
OS Northings: 159936
OS Grid: TR047599
Mapcode National: GBR SWC.98F
Mapcode Global: VHKJX.5J7Y
Entry Name: Nash Court
Listing Date: 21 May 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1069133
English Heritage Legacy ID: 176670
Location: Boughton under Blean, Swale, Kent, ME13
Civil Parish: Boughton under Blean
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
TR 0459-0559 BOUGHTON NASH COURT
6/66 Nash Court
House. 1713, late C18 and mid C19. Red brick with ashlar dressing. Roof
slated to front, but otherwise tiled. Two storeys and attic on plinth with
plat band frieze, cornice and balustrade. Quoins to slightly projecting
wings and centre piers. Shallow pediment over central bay. Hipped roof
with 4 raking dormers and 6 stacks ranged across ridge. Six sashes on first
floor with gauged and keyed heads and central tripartite sash with bracketed
cornice. Tripartite French doors on ground floor to left and right, 4
sashes with gauged and keyed heads, and central half-glazed double doors with
moulded and lugged segment headed surround. Doric portico with columns in
antis and pierced parapet over. Roofs to rear maintain early C18 tiling and
1 segmental headed dormer window; some red and blue chequered brick to rear
ranges. Interior: early C18 staircase, with ramped and moulded handrail on
barley-sugar balusters with Corinthian column-bbyli principals. Open string
with brackets. Open well plan.Segmental pedimented doorcase to principal
upstairs room from staircase landing. Bolection moulded raised and fielded
panelling in several rooms and corridors. Early C18 vaulted cellars and
clasped purlin roof structure. Otherwise the interior decoration is late C18
Neo-Classical. Fine plastered and coloured ceilings, restored mid C20.
Lugged segmental marble fireplaces, enriched with scrolls, pulvinated frieze
and cornice. Entrance hall with anthemion and egg and tongue frieze and
cornice, marble floor, and pilastered screens. Ornate late C19 central
heating grills and large box heaters with pierced side panels in several
rooms. The house built originally 1713, and rebuilt after riot damage c.1715.
Hasted says "fitted up within these few years with much taste in the modern
stile," possibly for Colonel Montressor, one time tenant of Belmont Park,
Throwley. Restored before 1878, but maintaining main lines of 1790 engraving.
Architects unknown. (See Hasted, VII, 3 + 10, B.0.E. Kent II, 1983, 152).
Listing NGR: TR0470459936
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings