History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Norton Court Including Courtyard Walls and Outbuildings

A Grade II Listed Building in Norton, Buckland and Stone, Kent

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.3159 / 51°18'57"N

Longitude: 0.8218 / 0°49'18"E

OS Eastings: 596738

OS Northings: 161202

OS Grid: TQ967612

Mapcode National: GBR RTP.JKT

Mapcode Global: VHKJV.6692

Entry Name: Norton Court Including Courtyard Walls and Outbuildings

Listing Date: 27 August 1952

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1069219

English Heritage Legacy ID: 176475

Location: Norton, Buckland and Stone, Swale, Kent, ME9

County: Kent

District: Swale

Civil Parish: Norton, Buckland and Stone

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent

Find accommodation in
Teynham

Listing Text

TQ 96 SE NORTON AND BUCKLAND NORTON LANE
(east side)

1/69 Norton Court
including courtyard
walls and out-
27.8.52 buildings

GV II

House and courtyards. C17, remodelled early C19 and 1910
by Sir Reginald Blomfield. Painted brick in Flemish bond
with plain tiled roof. Two storeys on plinth, with platband
and cornice, and attic with 3 pedimented dormers and stacks
to rear right and to left. Irregular fenestration of 6 glazing
bar sashes with shutters on first floor, and 4 segment headed
glazing bar sashes on ground floor. Two 8 panelled doors to
left and to right. Main entrance in right return front, double
doors of 6 panels with tracered elliptical fanlight, and attached
Doric columns. Rear ranges tile hung and half-hipped.
Interior: contains a painted "monks room" decorated by fugitive
Catholic recusant C17. Courtyard and garden walls to rear of
house in painted and red brick approx. 8 feet in height in
3 courts enclosing an area approx. 100 yards long by 60
yards. The house was originally built 1625 for the Milles
family, reputedly by Inigo Jones. Remodelled early C19 and
restored by Blomfield in 1910, the main range was destroyed
by fire 1966. The present house, of the late C17, was
a service wing to the main range.


Listing NGR: TQ9673861202

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.