History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Eastling Manor

A Grade II* Listed Building in Eastling, Kent

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.274 / 51°16'26"N

Longitude: 0.8124 / 0°48'44"E

OS Eastings: 596263

OS Northings: 156518

OS Grid: TQ962565

Mapcode National: GBR RV8.26Y

Mapcode Global: VHKK1.17BP

Entry Name: Eastling Manor

Listing Date: 27 August 1952

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1069239

English Heritage Legacy ID: 176423

Location: Eastling, Swale, Kent, ME13

County: Kent

District: Swale

Civil Parish: Eastling

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent

Find accommodation in
Newnham

Listing Text

TQ 95 NE EASTLING SCHOOL LANE
(south side)

4/19 Eastling
27.8.52 Manor

GV II*

House. C14 and 1616. Timber framed and exposed close-studding
with plaster infill, part rendered, part tile hung, on red
brick base with plain tiled roof. Two storeys and attic with
half-hipped roof and gablets. 3 hipped dormers and stacks to
left and centre right. Two 3 light transomed windows, 1 single
light and one 5 light on first floor, and two 5-light transomed
windows with hipped hoods and single light on ground floor. All
dormers and windows with central arched transoms. Two storey
hipped and projecting porch to centre with C20 glass outer doors
and multi-panelled inner door. Right return front: tile hung
with oriel windows to each floor, with rear wing of close-
studding on red brick base and C20 canted bay window.
Interior: rear wing partial survival of C14 or C13 aisled hall
with scissor-truss roof. Present main range added 1616 with
contemporary cellars, wainscot panelling and doors and turned
baluster screen to service area. Open well staircase of 3
storeys with turned balusters, bell pendants and moulded hand-
rail. Large oak fireplace with carved coupled baluster pilasters
with scrolled and foliated frieze and cornice-mantel. Known
originally as Gregories, the wing of 1616 added by a Mr Parmiter
(see Hasted, vol. VI p422; also BOE KENT II, 1983, p307).


Listing NGR: TQ9626356518

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.