History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Lynsted Park and Adjacent Garden Walls

A Grade II* Listed Building in Lynsted with Kingsdown, Kent

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.3027 / 51°18'9"N

Longitude: 0.7919 / 0°47'30"E

OS Eastings: 594713

OS Northings: 159655

OS Grid: TQ947596

Mapcode National: GBR RTV.91H

Mapcode Global: VHKJT.PJ06

Entry Name: Lynsted Park and Adjacent Garden Walls

Listing Date: 27 August 1952

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1069310

English Heritage Legacy ID: 176289

Location: Lynsted with Kingsdown, Swale, Kent, ME9

County: Kent

District: Swale

Civil Parish: Lynsted with Kingsdown

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent

Find accommodation in
Kingsdown

Listing Text

TQ 95 NW LYNSTED LYNSTED PARK

4/79 Lynsted Park and adjacent
garden walls
27.8.52

GV II*

House. 1599 and 1829, built originally for Sir John Roper, first Baron
Teynham. Red brick and slate roof. Originally on E-plan of 4 storeys,
now L-shaped plan. Two storeys on plinth with hipped roof and stacks to
centre left and projecting end right. Three glazing bar sashes of 8 panes
on first-floor, and 3 of 12 panes on ground floor to left of porch, with
large C19 oriel to right and glazing bar sash below. Porch centre right,
2 storeys, of red brick and ashlared dressings on ashlar base. Semi-
circular doorway arch on imposts with Doric columns and bracket frieze,
and Ionic columns with cornice on first floor, and 6 light mullioned
window. Rear front: part enclosed arcade of 3 bays to left and 2 bays
and return to right of panelled door with 'Gibbs' surround and shaped
gable with strapwork decoration, of indeterminate date. Interior:
the interior arrangements much altered by the demolition of much of the
house in 1829. Entrance hall with bolection moulded doorway with moulded
spandrels and surrounds and decorated jamb stops. Internal mullioned
windows, originally to courtyard, now infilled. Upstairs rooms with plastered
ceilings. Cut off at the edges by demolition of 1829, based on portrait
medallions of classical heroes, and coats of arms. Room to right of porch
with pendant ceiling, and grottesque and strapwork frieze, and painted
overmantel of 2 achievements. Both rooms are wainscotted, C16, in part
reset. Some C18 bolection moulded dado panelling. To left (south) of
house is an externally entered underground chamber, probably originally
an internal cellar. To the north of the house, a large walled garden, C18,
red brick walls 7 foot in height, overall dimensions approximately 50 yards
by 150 yards. (See B.O.E., Kent II, 1983, 379; E. Selby Teynham Manor and
Hundred, 1982,edn., 68).


Listing NGR: TQ9471359655

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.