This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.3117 / 51°18'42"N
Longitude: 0.6959 / 0°41'45"E
OS Eastings: 587982
OS Northings: 160406
OS Grid: TQ879604
Mapcode National: GBR QS6.NRP
Mapcode Global: VHKJS.09Q8
Entry Name: Chantry House
Listing Date: 24 January 1967
Last Amended: 27 November 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1069369
English Heritage Legacy ID: 176114
Location: Bredgar, Swale, Kent, ME9
Civil Parish: Bredgar
Built-Up Area: Bredgar
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
TQ 86 SE BREDGAR THE STREET
5/92 Chantry House (Formerly
listed as chantry Cottages)
Chantry college, now house. Circa 1392 altered C19. Flint
with red brick dressings stone quoins and plain tiled roof.
Two storeys and moulded eaves cornice, with 4 stacks from left to
right. Regular fenestration of 4 C19 tripartite sash and central
sash on first floor and 4 tripartite sash on ground floor.
Original openings since revealed, mullioned light to left on
first floor, single openings with stone surrounds on ground
floor. Central door of 6 panels with rectangular fan, moulded
surrounds and cornice hood, with exposed brick and wood from earlier
door opening exposed around it. Right return front: first floor
has C14 2 light cusped opening. Interior: much of C14 remaining.
2 vaulted and half-sunk rooms; roof of 5 large moulded crown posts with
2 round flint chimneys; moulded stone doorways originally at
either end of passage from central hall to kitchen. Later
features include C17 moulded brick fireplace, and panelling, carving
and staircase of various dates, C17 - C18 imported from various
London buildings in the 1950's. Internal plan reconstructed as
having been vaulted storerooms with chaplain's room over; open
hall; pantry, buttery and passage with scholars' room over;
kitchen open to roof. College was founded 1397 by Robert de Bradegare,
the north aisle of the church used as its chapel (the whole church
rebuilt at-Same time). (See B.O.E. Kent II 1983 p. 158; Arch. Cant.
1975, E.W. Parkin).
Listing NGR: TQ8798560411
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings