History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Methodist Church

A Grade II Listed Building in Tonbridge and Malling, Kent

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1965 / 51°11'47"N

Longitude: 0.276 / 0°16'33"E

OS Eastings: 559122

OS Northings: 146603

OS Grid: TQ591466

Mapcode National: GBR MP0.YC4

Mapcode Global: VHHQ6.Q6S3

Entry Name: Methodist Church

Listing Date: 7 July 1989

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1069957

English Heritage Legacy ID: 178748

Location: Tonbridge and Malling, Kent, TN9

County: Kent

District: Tonbridge and Malling

Town: Tonbridge and Malling

Electoral Ward/Division: Medway

Built-Up Area: Tonbridge

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent

Church of England Parish: Tonbridge St Peter and St Paul

Church of England Diocese: Rochester

Find accommodation in
Tonbridge

Listing Text

TQ 5946 NW TONBRIDGE EAST STREET

3/121 Methodist Church

II

Methodist Church. Completed in 1875 by Cattermole & Eade of Ipswich with
adjoining Sunday School in similar style of 1897. Church built of red brick in
Flemish bond with bands of yellow brickwork and stone dressings. Slate roof.
Front has central gable with cross-shaped saddlestone and small quatrefoil
window. Large arched window with corbels, the upper part a rose window with 5
trefoil arches below flashed by lancets with trefoil heads. Dripcourse. To
left is 1 bay with arched window with trefoil heads and arched doorcase with
gabled head sexfoil decoration and plank door with decorative hinges footscraper
in decorative gable to right. To the right of the central gable are 3 bays and
buttresses and 3 arched windows with trefoil decoration and similar doorcase.
Left side elevation has 2 brick chimneys, sexfoil window above and 2 arched win-
dows with trefoils below. Interior of church has an unusually elaborate wooden
roof of 'spider's web' form comprising a series of 4 intersecting arches and
other arched braced tie- beams with elaborate fretted decorations in the
spandrels including quatrefoil motifs. The church retains intact its original
north arch comprising panelled organ gallery and 2 other upper galleries, pews
and pulpit. Attached to the right hand side is the Victoria Hall of 1896-7 in
similar style also in red brick with stone dressings. Large gable with hood
moulding and triple lancet window, the top with quatrefoil below trefoil flanked
by similar single lancets. To the right the Sunday School has a smaller gable
with blank quatrefoil, triple sash window to 1st floor and triple Caernarvon
arched windows to ground floor. Arched doorcases. Right side elevation is
cement rendered.


Listing NGR: TQ5912246603

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.