History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Oxney Court

A Grade II Listed Building in St. Margaret's At Cliffe, Kent

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.17 / 51°10'11"N

Longitude: 1.3644 / 1°21'51"E

OS Eastings: 635289

OS Northings: 146572

OS Grid: TR352465

Mapcode National: GBR X2G.PR1

Mapcode Global: VHLH5.LVNH

Entry Name: Oxney Court

Listing Date: 23 April 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1070031

English Heritage Legacy ID: 178514

Location: St. Margaret's At Cliffe, Dover, Kent, CT15

County: Kent

District: Dover

Civil Parish: St. Margaret's at Cliffe

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent

Find accommodation in
Ringwould

Listing Text

TR 34 NE ST MARGARET AT CLIFFE OXNEY

3/75 Oxney Court

II

House, now ruinous. Early C16, remodelled 1820-27 for John May possibly
by Robert Lugar. Red brick in 'Minster Bond,' rendered on main elevations,
with chalk block and flint exposed within building. The building is
roofless, although the walls stand to full height. Two storeys with
battlements, with battlemented tower projecting at end right, and octagonal
tower at end left, with circular stair turret, and projecting battlemented
porch with side turrets. Irregular fenestration of 6 label-headed
mullioned lights on each floor (some missing), with Gothick pointed lights
in towers. Segmental hooded arched openings to tower/porch with coat of
arms over. Two storey canted bay on left return. Interior: gutted, but
with structural remains of C16, cellars, interior walls and main exterior
walls. Cast iron spiral stair and some iron fireplaces. The house was
originally a small manor house of the de Crioll family, enlarged by John
Sedley, auditor to Henry VII. First Gothicised 1764 for the Jeken family,
the house was bought and remodelled c.1820-27 by John May, banker and
solicitor of Deal. Burnt when occupied by the army in World War One, it
has remained ruinous since. About ΒΌ mile north east are the ruins of
Oxney church, the only other building of note in the ancient parish of
Oxney. (See Hasted, IX, p.409 ff : see also Coast & Country June 1981,
p.20 ff; see also Bygone Kent, May 1983, p.296 ff).


Listing NGR: TR3553444945

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.