This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1344 / 51°8'3"N
Longitude: 1.1921 / 1°11'31"E
OS Eastings: 623420
OS Northings: 142079
OS Grid: TR234420
Mapcode National: GBR W19.VL8
Mapcode Global: VHLH8.MR28
Entry Name: Great Everden
Listing Date: 28 May 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1070038
English Heritage Legacy ID: 178530
Location: Alkham, Dover, Kent, CT15
Civil Parish: Alkham
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
TR 24 SW ALKHAM
3/1 Great Everden
House C15, altered C16 and C18 to late C20. Timber framed and clad and
extended with rubble with flint galleting and red brick in English bond
and red brick, partly rendered and with tile hanging and weather boarding.
Plain tiled roof. Hall house in origin with additional C18 wing. Entrance
elevation:- 2 storeys on flint plinth with double span roof and stacks to
left and to right. Three wooden casements on first floor and 2 with
segmental heads to right on ground floor with canted bay to left. Door of
6 raised and fielded panels to centre left, the top 2 panels glazed, with
flat hood on brackets. Outshot to right. Return elevation: to right,
exposed wall of dressed stone and rubble with flint galleting within outshot;
the flint plinth is clad over with C16 brick work, with flint and stone
walling on rear elevation, and more English bond brickwork on rear right
return, with several small brick mullioned windows. Rear hip of main range
with gablets, C20 fenestration of 5 wooden casements on each floor of
right return. Interior: large scantling framing and internal partition.
Inglenook fireplace. Row of 4 arched doorways in ground floor corridor.
The position of these doorways along the long axis of the building suggests
a non-domestic origin of the building. It was by repute a leper hospital
attached to the nearby commandery of the Knights of St. John at Swingfield;
subsequently a manorial site deriving its name from a branch of the
Avranches family settled here until 1688 (originally called Evering).
(See Hasted, VIII, p 137; Lees & Humphreys, Alkham Parish, 1985).
Listing NGR: TR2342042079
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings