This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1852 / 51°11'6"N
Longitude: 1.3753 / 1°22'31"E
OS Eastings: 635974
OS Northings: 148304
OS Grid: TR359483
Mapcode National: GBR X29.LJP
Mapcode Global: VHLH5.SGFR
Entry Name: Church of St Nicholas
Listing Date: 22 August 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1070060
English Heritage Legacy ID: 178477
Location: Ringwould with Kingsdown, Dover, Kent, CT14
Civil Parish: Ringwould with Kingsdown
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
TR 34 NE RINGWOULD CHURCH LANE
3/38 Church of
22.8.66 St. Nicholas
Parish church. C12; C14 alterations, west tower 1628. Restored late
C19. Flint coursed,in north aisle with rubble, with red brick dressings.
Plain tiled roof. Chancel, nave with north aisle and south porch and
western tower. The west tower sits within the nave, the lower west wall
the C12 west wall of nave, the upper 2 stages of the tower C17 additions,
with relieving arches of brick. Angle buttresses, 5 times offset, string
courses and parapet all with red brick dressing. South-eastern turret
with lead cupola and ornate wrought iron weather vane. Simple chamfered
western doorway with round headed lancet over, otherwise segmentally
headed brick windows with pedimented cornices. Early C20 clockface on
west face. Nave and aisle with C19 fenestration, except 1 round headed
lancet to west in both C14 south porch. Plain round headed south
doorway. Bricked in north doorway. Chancel with 3 lancets to north
and south, the westernmost trecusped. C19 triple lancet east window.
Interior: tower placed within nave, rendered, with plinth and plat band
and double offset buttresses, with moulded shields either side of
tall, double rebated and round headed arch. Panelled doors set within
main arch, and double rebated and pointed arched openings either side of
tower. North arcade of 4 bays on crude octagonal piers with moulded
capitals and double chamfered arches, all C14, but the responds are square
and plain and C12. Triple lancet C19 north aisle window with double
arcaded inner screen. C19 king post roof in nave, C14 crown post roof in
north aisle. C19 chamfered and ovolo moulded chancel arch on attached
round piers. Trussed rafter roof and poor east window in chancel. C19
round headed reveals to central lancets north and south. Fittings: heavily
restored sedilia, only the lower half C13, although the moulded hood of the
easternmost reproduces the ancient trecusped pattern. All other fittings
C19, excluding parish chest, dated G.P. 1634 W.K. and Royal Arms of George IV.
Monuments: group of 4 wall tablets in chancel: Richard Dauling, d.1679.
Black inscription plaque with enriched scrolled sides and cornice on bracketed
base with cherub's head. Reverend Richard Monins Eaton, d. 1770, white
marble with fluted pilasters supporting cornice, 2 burning lamps (in
artificial stone) and painted arms cartouche; base with cherub's head.
Mrs Ann Tubb, d.1777. Oval inscription plaque on coloured marble field
with black obelisk over and large draped urn. Signed: Lancashire fecit
Bath. (Francis Lancashire + Son). John Monins, d.1806. Black obelisk
with draped urn on elliptically arched base. Signed J. Bacon jnr. Re-set
on wooden wall plaque in tower is a brass to John Upton, d.1530, and
mutilated lady, with 5 children and inscriptions. Assigned to local
Canterbury school. East window glass 1863, in C13 style. (See B.O.E.,
Kent II, 1983, 433-4).
Listing NGR: TR3590548404
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings