History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Oasthouse 30 Metres to North of Dambridge Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Wingham, Kent

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.2697 / 51°16'11"N

Longitude: 1.2233 / 1°13'23"E

OS Eastings: 624938

OS Northings: 157223

OS Grid: TR249572

Mapcode National: GBR VZS.B2Y

Mapcode Global: VHLGQ.5B1Y

Entry Name: Oasthouse 30 Metres to North of Dambridge Farmhouse

Listing Date: 14 January 1991

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1070082

English Heritage Legacy ID: 178440

Location: Wingham, Dover, Kent, CT3

County: Kent

District: Dover

Civil Parish: Wingham

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent

Find accommodation in
Wingham

Listing Text

The following building shall be added to the list:

TR 2457 WINGHAM STAPLE ROAD

9/402 Oasthouse 30 metres to
North of Dambridge
Farmhouse

GV II

Oasthouse. c.1800 re-roofed c.1873. Red brick in Flemish bond with hipped peg
tiled roof and brick eaves cornice. A T-shaped building of 2 storeys and
basement comprising storage range and 2 kilns. North elevation has 2 wooden
casement windows with cement cills and cambered head linings to ground floor
windows. Basement has openings with wooden lintels. 4 circular iron ties. First
elevation has loading door to lst floor, 2 circular iron ties and cambered
opening to ground floor with iron bars. West elevation has 1st floor loading
door and a brick dated 1873 with further bricks initialled IR, MR, FR, MR, IR, HR
and HR which probably refers to a refurbishment. 5 bays storage with tie beams,
collar beams, ridge piece and through purlins. 2 kilns, one retaining its drying
floor. Probably when built there was one kiln to the south but after 1873 part
of the storage to the east was partitioned off to form another kiln. Instead of
a court a projecting gable served both kilns.


Listing NGR: TR2493857223

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.