This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.2716 / 51°16'17"N
Longitude: 1.2138 / 1°12'49"E
OS Eastings: 624267
OS Northings: 157397
OS Grid: TR242573
Mapcode National: GBR VZS.7NY
Mapcode Global: VHLGQ.090K
Entry Name: The Dog Inn
Listing Date: 13 October 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1070097
English Heritage Legacy ID: 178371
Location: Wingham, Dover, Kent, CT3
Civil Parish: Wingham
Built-Up Area: Wingham
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
TR 2457 WINGHAM CANTERBURY ROAD
9/339 The Dog Inn
Public House. Circa 1400 in origin, now largely C15 and 1661. Timber
framed and rendered and extended with red and blue brick. Plain tiled roof.
Two storeys and 1 storey and attic, the lower range to right. Jettied to
left on brackets with scalloped barge board and with 2 gabled dormers to right
and stacks to centre and end right. Tripartite glazing bar sash on first
and tripartite wooden casement on ground floor to left and 2 leaded wooden
casements to right. Half glazed door to centre and boarded door to right in
simple architraves, both with 4 steps and swept and wreathed iron rails. C18
stable block to rear, 2 storeys with loft door and glazing bar sash and 2
boarded doors and wooden casement on ground floor. Interior; plain crown post
roof in right hand section and fine moulded crown post to left. The building
is part of 'Canons' Row', Wingham College,this part of it severly damaged
by fire in 1660 (hence date 1661 on gable),but the building largely predates
this. Like the nearby Red Lion it was used as the Sessions House C18/C19.
Listing NGR: TR2426757397
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings