This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.2449 / 51°14'41"N
Longitude: 1.2285 / 1°13'42"E
OS Eastings: 625423
OS Northings: 154478
OS Grid: TR254544
Mapcode National: GBR VZZ.Z9N
Mapcode Global: VHLGQ.7ZT1
Entry Name: The Dower House
Listing Date: 13 October 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1070257
English Heritage Legacy ID: 177956
Location: Goodnestone, Dover, Kent, CT3
Civil Parish: Goodnestone
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
GOODNESTONE THE STREET
TR 25 SE
3/95 The Dower
House. Circa 1500, altered late C18. Timber framed and roughcast with
plain tiled roof. Wealden hall house plan of 4 framed bays. Two storeys and
attic on plinth, with jetties to left and to right on dragon posts and with
moulded bresummers. Recessed central bays with flying wall plate on arched
braces. Moulded parapet to hipped roof with gablets, 2 flat roofed dormers
and stacks to centre and at end left. Four wooden casements on first floor
and 3 C20 cross windows and 1 C20 mullioned wooden casement on ground floor.
Door of 6 panels to centre right with rectangular fanlight in moulded surround
with flat hood. Recessed 2 storey wing to right with hipped roof, stack and
1 wooden casement on each floor. Interior: full frame visible with moulded
ceiling joists. The screens passage is to left (south), not behind present
door. Two four-centred arched screens doors to service wing with moulded
jambs, rose spandrels and fernleaf and pomegranate spandrels. Very large
inglenooks. Late C18 open well plan stair with unturned baluster and
turned newels on closed string, with ramped handrail. Later framed wing
to rear and C18 or C19 tiled dairy. The house, then known as Goodnestone
Farm, features regularly in the correspondence of Jane Austen, whose brother
married a daughter of Sir Brook Bridges of Goodnestone Park. (See G.
Holyoake, Bygone Kent, Vol 3, no.5, May 1982).
Listing NGR: TR2542354478
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings