History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Gabriel Richards Almshouses

A Grade II* Listed Building in Goodnestone, Kent

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.2474 / 51°14'50"N

Longitude: 1.2321 / 1°13'55"E

OS Eastings: 625663

OS Northings: 154761

OS Grid: TR256547

Mapcode National: GBR W00.LBQ

Mapcode Global: VHLGQ.9XQ5

Entry Name: The Gabriel Richards Almshouses

Listing Date: 13 October 1952

Last Amended: 3 December 1986

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1070263

English Heritage Legacy ID: 177969

Location: Goodnestone, Dover, Kent, CT3

County: Kent

District: Dover

Civil Parish: Goodnestone

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent

Find accommodation in
Staple

Listing Text

GOODNESTONE THE STREET
TR 25 SE
(east side)
3/108 The Gabriel Richards
Almshouses (formerly listed
13.10.52 as Almshouses)
GV II*
Almshouses. Mid C17, extended C18. Red brick and plain tiled roof. The
C18 wing of 2 storeys and hipped roof with stacks to rear left and to
rear right. Two leaded 3 light wooden casements on each floor, with
segmental heads on ground floor, and central segmentally headed boarded
door. C17 range: entrance front of 2 storeys on plinth with plat band
and moulded dogtooth eaves cornice. Two large stacks project at left and
at right, each with 2 star-shaped moulded flues. Irregular fenestration
of wooden casements with 2 light rendered brick mullioned window over door
to centre left, the door with flat hood on brackets with side screens.
More rendered mullioned windows, irregularly placed on rear elevation.
Shaped gable to left, with giant pilasters to left and right, with full
entablature in brick supporting broken segmental pediment with a pediment
thrusting upwards through it, possibly copying the pattern at Broome Park
(1635-8). The charity was endowed by Gabriel Richards in his will dated
1671, but the building was already standing. The charity was for 4 aged
decayed gentlemen or gentlewomen, born in Kent, and with preference to his
own relations. (See B.O.E. Kent II 1983, 335-6; see also Hasted, IX, 247;
see also Gabriel Richard's monument in Church of the Holy Cross, Goodnestone.)


Listing NGR: TR2541554411

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.