This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1311 / 51°7'51"N
Longitude: 1.3174 / 1°19'2"E
OS Eastings: 632200
OS Northings: 142104
OS Grid: TR322421
Mapcode National: GBR X2Z.3WJ
Mapcode Global: VHLHB.STBR
Entry Name: Connaught Pumping Station
Listing Date: 14 January 1991
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1070300
English Heritage Legacy ID: 177858
Location: Dover, Dover, Kent, CT16
Civil Parish: Dover
Built-Up Area: Dover
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
In the entry for:-
TR 34 SW -
7/171 Connaught Pumping Station
the map serial number shall be amended to read 7/172.
The list was previously amended in respect of this entry on 14 January 1991.
The following building shall be added to the list
TR 34 SW
Connaught Pumping Station
Former pumping station, later museum. Original part of 1854 by Moxon in Romanesque
style to house twin pumps and single cylinder beam engines. In 1937 a new triple
expansion steam pump was substituted and the building extended in 1954 to house a
second steam pump. Original part built in stock brick in English bond but with
dressings in Flemish bond. Flat roof with brick and cemented parapet (a heightening
of 1937 and 1954). Side has 4 circular windows with 4 keystones and deep round-
headed arches with impost blocks and decorative glazing and 4 panelled door. End
elevation has a top 2 round-headed windows with keystones, below 2 circular windows
with 4 keystones and 2 round-headed openings. Rear elevation is similar to front but
without doorcase. All sides have pilasters dividing bays, moulded bands between floors
and panelled aprons. Interior has 1937 triple expansion steam pump. 1954 addition
has a pebbledashed base with yellow brick above in English bond. Flat roof. Side
has 3 tall round-headed windows with metal casements, end has 1 large round-headed
window with metal casements, 2 tiny round-headed windows above and door with 15 panels.
The 1954 steam pump in this part of the pumping station was removed and at the time of
survey was situated in The Forncett Industrial Museum in Norfolk. Single storey
addition to north east has 4 casements with cemented surrounds and projecting porch
with round-headed doorcase with double 6 panelled door. Cemented cornice, pilasters
and deep plinth. Pedimented section to north.
(See E J Maynard "Historical and Technical Description of the Former Dover Corporation
Waterworks, Connaught Road" 1976).
Listing NGR: TR3217542129
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings