This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1284 / 51°7'42"N
Longitude: 1.3234 / 1°19'24"E
OS Eastings: 632629
OS Northings: 141822
OS Grid: TR326418
Mapcode National: GBR X2Z.5D0
Mapcode Global: VHLHB.WWGV
Entry Name: Church of St Mary Sub-Castro
Listing Date: 7 March 1974
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1070328
English Heritage Legacy ID: 177826
Location: Dover, Dover, Kent, CT16
Civil Parish: Dover
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
685/1/49 DOVER CASTLE
07-MAR-74 CHURCH OF ST MARY SUB-CASTRO
The latest possible date for the foundation of the church is C.1020AD. The exterior is of 2 storeys flint with some reused Roman brick window dressings and some modern ashlar dressings. Modern tiled roof and restored tower. The Church was roofless and used as a coalstore in the C18 but was restored for use as a garrison church to the Castle by Sir Gilbert Scott in 1862. The interior contains a Chancel arch of Roman brick, a blocked Saxon doorway and the site of a Military or soldiers altar of A.D. 1225. There is a Victorian wooden roof and stained glass windows. Mosaics by Butterfield 1888.
Listing NGR: TR3263241823
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings